Question 2004 Honda Cr-V (3 seats in the back?)

mstarkman

My wife and I currently have 2 children and 2004 Honda CR-V. We are in the process of trying to have a third child. That being said, we are trying to determine what the best (safest) way to transport our kids is. Given that it is then end of the model year and the economy seems to be tanking, we are thinking about upgrading to a Honda Odyssey. Here is what we currently have:
  • Alpha Elite Apex 65 - 6yo daughter - 42in. - 45lbs. - Front Facing
  • Alpha Omega Elite - 3yo son - 36.5in. - 35lbs. - Front Facing
  • Evenflo Titan 5 - Not currently being used

Can we buy an infant seat and safely use the existing seats safely in the CR-V? If so, which one is recommended?

Thanks,
Mark

ADS

loufrando

Hi, I also have an '04 CR-V.

The short answer to your question is, no. With your current seats you will not be able to do 3 carseats across in the CR-V.

The main problem is the Apex 65. It is one of the 2 widest seats on the market (same width as the Britax Regent, which I have). You aren't going to be able to do any 3-across with that seat involved in a CR-V.

You have to have at least 2 very narrow seats to pull off a 3-across in our car. At least one Sunshine Kids Radian almost has to be involved to 'puzzle' with the other seats. It would have to replace the Apex 65 and then you'd also want to get a narrow-ish infant seat (Chicco KeyFit?). The AOE may or may not puzzle in the center (that's where it would have to be). I don't have a ton of experience with those, but it may work if you remove the base.

Buying 3 new carseats is cheaper than a new car, but honestly, long term, if you can get an Oddyssey for a good price I would go for it. You'll surely end up wanting one soon enough anyway. I've done 3 across over the summer and it is not something I would want to do for an extended period of time if I had another option. The middle seatbelt (the way it comes from the ceiling and has 2 buckle stalks) makes an already challenging 3-across trickier in the CR-V because only certain seats will work there.

I only have 2 kids with no more planned and I'm even wanting to trade up to a vehicle with a 3rd row. As they get older they start to want to bring friends home with them for playdates and stuff and it's annoying to not have any extra seats available. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC