Potty Training and Piddle Pads?

Lilsid

Are the piddle pads safe to use? Or is it ok to use a baby lap pad (waterproof) with a cut out for the buckle. Or do I just change the seat cover a lot?

I tried a towel but that was not enough. If DD fals asleep in the car its over, she wets all over. I make her potty just before we get in the car but I swear she has a reserve tank just for the car seat. I try to keep her awake but she loves to sleep in the car.

I hope this faze is short.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As long as it doesn't interfer with the harness being secure & is no thicker than 1 layer of thin towel it should be OK ... if you can get your hands on the waterproof squares that hospitals use they're pretty good :rolleyes: :p I'm not familiar with Piddle Pads, specifically, though :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I would probably stay away from them, I think they're pretty thick. The lap pads should work though w/ cutouts. I know this would be a pain, what about changing her into a pull up in the car? Thankfully we've had no carseat accidents yet.

skipspin

I am probably the "evil" one here, but I have a piddle pad. I tried the waterproof cloth but between DD "getting in seat all by self" and messing it up and the fact that a lot of times it all went right through the croch strap cut-out it didn't work for me. (One does work UNDER the cover so the pee dosen't drip into the crevices of your base. Can you tell there is some experience here? LOL) I think the piddle pad is thinner than most cloth diapers...

The piddle pad is not perfect since I still have to hold it in place while DD is getting in. I only used it when I thought there was a high likelyhood of an accident and she had only panties on. I would use a pull-up instead if it was a longer ride, but if it was just for a few minutes I would use the piddle pad. I wouldn't recommend using it in addition to a diaper.

In a pinch I have spread a pull-up under her (clothes and all) and that worked pretty well.

Remember, the time will pass fast...and I can now say I can put the cover back on my WZ whithout unbuckling the seat and in about three minutes. I am also an expert at re-threading the straps. The WZ that the instructors had at my CPS class needed the harness put back in and they couldn't believe that I could do it so fast and exactly right. LOL. I didn't tell them till the last day HOW I gained that experience.

jjjules

I used Piddle Pads for a couple of years with my Britax Roundabout. They were fabulous and didn't slip. Saved me a lot of washing!

U

Unregistered

You could also put a pair of plastic underwear on over her undies. Those won't interfere with the seat at all and I HATE Pull-ups!

Lilsid

Thanks for all the ideas. We are trying cloth training panties and a plastic pant. I hope that works if not its back to the drawing board.

My husband thinks we should have her take the wet seat cover off and put it in the wash each time and she might gain some control. I dont know if I am in to child labor yet. But when she was throwing food off the table my DH made her pick it up off the floor and throw it away, then she had to clean the floor with a baby wipe or 2. She stoped food throwing in 3 nights.

But she is good in the car seat until she falls a sleep. So I am just going with the training pants for now.

skaterbabs

Lilsid said:
My husband thinks we should have her take the wet seat cover off and put it in the wash each time and she might gain some control. I dont know if I am in to child labor yet. But when she was throwing food off the table my DH made her pick it up off the floor and throw it away, then she had to clean the floor with a baby wipe or 2. She stoped food throwing in 3 nights.

But she is good in the car seat until she falls a sleep. So I am just going with the training pants for now.

Throwing food is a discipline issue, this isn't, so while there is a time and place for havingher cleanup after herself, I think the best thing is prevention. If need be, continue using diapers for car trips until she's a little older.

skipspin

Well, now that DD is totally potty trained I can say washing the cover wasn't a big deal, but it sure was a pain sometimes!

We didn't use pull-ups either except bedtime and in the church nursery (they required them until there are NO accidents for over a month...new carpet) and a few other occasions, like 3 hr trips in the car or a very fancy restraunt one time. I know Pull-ups work for some, but DD and I were both much more motivated with the potty training with just panties!

The plastc pants worked GREAT for a friend of mine, but did nothing on my DD. Not sure why, but the pee just ran down her leg or into her seat anyway.

I also am very big on discipline and kids working to clean up their own messes, but I don't think that wetting while sleeping qualifies. DD never got in trouble or had to deal with the consequences for potty accidents except for a few times after she was trained and had a bad attitude (for example, " I will NOT go potty, I don't need to" then pee dripping down her leg.)

So, you should be able to find something that works well for you- but it may take a few cover washes to figure it out!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I agree with Rebekah ... as someone with a severe chronic digestive disorder, I urge you NOT to treat natural bodily functions as a behavior issue -- it can lead to major health problems down the road & that's just not worth any number of dirty carseat sovers! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC