Multimac--What do you think?

zeo2ski

Yeah that's the article I saw the price in too--didn't catch that date though! Even if it was still at that price, are you guys willing to pay $1800 for it? And that doesn't include the infant seat(s). I mean that's a good down payment for a new car...or a decent chunk of a used car price! And you can only use it til one kid outgrows it and then you need a new vehicle anyway. Unless you plan to put your oldest in the front seat I guess. And then when the second child outgrows it you're done, no place for them to sit unless you take it out and put in regular carseats...I guess it all depends on child age spacing and what you want/need/can afford in a vehicle.

I wonder how long the life of it is. Because once you can no longer use it, that's a pricey seat to destroy! I mean geez, $1800!!! Don't get me wrong, we'll pay for the best seat we need, and if this is the seat we need (meaning safeEST) then sure we'd buy it. But really--$1800/4= $450 per seat. Plus any infant seats you need (that can only RF to 13 kg and seem to have a short shell).

I think it's an awesome awesome awesome idea, but I wonder how successful it will be. I think there are issues to work out big time.

ADS

christineka

I didn't check the article date either!

I have a van, so I plan to put this thing on the back bench. When one child outgrows it at age 14 or so (I have small kids.) They can sit in the middle row. Also, if a kid has outgrown the rfing attachment, but not some other rfing seat, they'll be in the middle too. I have thought this out a bit. I think the multimac would be great for families like mine with very close together children. Even greater if I could have gotten this seat when my 3rd or 4th were babies. It would be great for people who want to cart around the soccer team or do school car pools. Also, people with triplets.

A used full sized van with headrests and shoulder belts in all locations (The Sprinter) costs around $24k, so for me I would gladly pay $2-$3k for an extra seat in my van.

Kabes

If it were to come out in the next year I would be golden. My oldest is turning 8 and she is a tiny thing. My youngest will be turning 3 and if he could still RF I could put him in a captain's chair. When my oldest grows out of it she can ride in a captain's chair, for that matter so can my second. So I could use it until my third outgrew it which conservatively is 8 years from now - 7 years of use if it comes out next year.

After an accident early this year we replaced 5 seats and it cost $1200 and we did not get an extra seat. I would gladly pay $1800, if indeed that is the price. I'm not so sure I can convince DH though.

erinnicolevan

I would looooove this! My kids are 6, 5, 2, 1 and newborn coming this April. This would solve so many issues I am having trying to figure out what new vehicle to buy.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have one child, so it holds no interest for me, but considering the difference in cost (not just purchasing, but owning/insuring/operating) between an 8-passenger minivan and a 12-passenger full-size van, $1800 doesn't seem outrageous.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Since I'd be using it in my Suburban I'd still have other open seats for kids that didn't fit into it...I'd gladly pay $1800 for it, as we could forego having to get another vehicle that seats more for several more years.

If they had a sedan however, I can see your point, it might not be as cost effective for them in the long run.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I will seriously consider one of these when/if they come to the US. The possibility of turning my suburban into a 10 seater is awesome! Or even just making one of the seats fit 4 harnessed kids, then I still have 3 open seats for other kids, car seats.

christineka

It looks uncomfortable. Imagine having to sit like that for a few hours.

My kids sleep on the floor for fun. My dd loves her pink scenera. Kids don't have the bones of us old folks and can be comfortable just about anywhere.

Closeness may be an issue, but I'd rather turn up the music than get a full sized van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC