Compass b530 in Canada

I just picked up my Compass b530c booster ordered from Sears.ca. D.O.M. was 2007/09/24, so it's a year old already, which is disappointing, but the seat has a 7 year lifespan. It's a really nice seat! Really solid feeling, and easy to route the belt properly. The back goes up nice and high (I don't have the PW here for comparison, but it looks close - unlike the b505 I checked out at Zellers that was obviously shorter), and I like the way the height adjustment makes for a solid back. I haven't tried my DS (almost 6, 43 lbs) in it yet, but I will as soon as he's home from school. I also want to play around with various 3-across situations involving it, a PW, and a RN. I also have a MA, but that will become my surplus seat when I do all the switching around.

As much as I like the seat, and I got a great deal on it (99.99 less a $20 off coupon), I'm not sure whether we're going to keep it or not. I need a booster that will be good for traveling. I've been so spoiled with how flat the RN folds and the backpack straps, so the b530 looks bulky in comparison. It's definitely lighter than the RN, but I'm not sure that it's that much easier to carry through the airport. It comes with a carry bag, but I'm pretty sure it's bigger than airline carry-on requirements, so I'd have to gate check it. I may try DS in the Oto and see how he fits in that. It looks like the ideal travel seat, except that I'm not sure how comfortable with DS in a backless booster.

In any case, we now have confirmation that the b530 is in Canada! It's definitely a good option for an affordable booster!

ADS

bubbaray

FYI, Clek is discontinuing the Oto, so if you want one, you might want to get it sooner rather than later, KWIM?

That's weird about the DOM on the 530. I mean, they are so new to the market. Does it have Cdn labelling? I wonder if they just re-stickered US seats????

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
IIRC it's the b530 model that TRU/BRU has too. I don't recall what the DOM was on it, though I can check tonight if I get a chance.

I can see how the seat doesn't seem as compact compared to the Radian though.

bubbaray

Does the BRU/TRU model come with the carry case? The Sears version does. I'd rather get one with the carry case if they are otherwise the same seat/price -- but if the Sears one is that old and the TRU one is new DOMs, obviously I'd go with that....

TIA!

snowbird25ca

Does the BRU/TRU model come with the carry case? The Sears version does. I'd rather get one with the carry case if they are otherwise the same seat/price -- but if the Sears one is that old and the TRU one is new DOMs, obviously I'd go with that....

TIA!

I'm not sure about the carry case. I know there isn't one out with the display model, but that really doesn't mean much all things considered. :whistle:

That's weird about the DOM on the 530. I mean, they are so new to the market. Does it have Cdn labelling? I wonder if they just re-stickered US seats????

The Compass definitely has the Cdn labelling. The box is bilingual and the TC logo is on the outside of the box. I wouldn't be surprised if they were re-stickered US seats. On the seat itself, anything that is engraved on the seat is in English. Anything in French is stickered.

DS is home! Off to try him out in the new seat!

spcamno

Sorry for the mini hi-jack but what's the difference bewteen the B505, B510 and B530?

They are all folding booster seat and can someone explain a little more?

Thanks

Sorry for the mini hi-jack but what's the difference bewteen the B505, B510 and B530?

They are all folding booster seat and can someone explain a little more?

Thanks

The b505 and the b530 are the only ones available in Canada. The b530 adjusts taller than the b505. I believe they are similar in terms of sidewing depth. The b510 the same height as the b530, but has deeper sidewings.

snowbird25ca

The Compass definitely has the Cdn labelling. The box is bilingual and the TC logo is on the outside of the box. I wouldn't be surprised if they were re-stickered US seats. On the seat itself, anything that is engraved on the seat is in English. Anything in French is stickered.

DS is home! Off to try him out in the new seat!

How does your ds like the seat? :)

I checked the DOM on our floor model seat at work last night and it's Nov 2007. That doesn't really surprise me if you think about what the DOM is on the True Fit's just arriving. If the boosters have been available for a few months already, and were close to 6 months old on arrival, it starts to add up...

Who knows though... If I were to guess I'd say the booster seats are made identically except for being given whichever countries stickers that the seat is being shipped to. I don't think that they would've put CDN labels over the US labels though - 2 stickers would be pretty obvious... It might've been a case of manufactured and ready to ship before the final paperwork was completed though?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC