mid-90's Suburban - 3rd row + tether anchors

skaterbabs

does anyone know if a Regent will fit between two HBB in the 3rd row of a 90's Suburban? What about 2 Regents and a Radian in the 3rd row?
And where the tether anchor divots would be?

We're about 80% sure we're buying MIL's, but I can't find tether anchor locations in my LATCh manual for anuthing older than '99, and I think hers' is at latest a '96.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a '97 Suburban. I have NO tether anchors. I verified that the cargo anchors in the back of the sub are NOT approved for tethers. They will however install ONE at no charge.

I highly doubt you will fit 2 Regents back there plus anything else. But you might be able to get away with one regent in the middle and 2 HBB on the side if they are narrow.

In my 3rd row I have an Evenflo Express in the center, with 2 BVs outboard. The BVs sit above the Express. If it were a seat that was higher, it would NEVER work. Or if the BVs didn't have a base, it wouldn't work either.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
P.S. I heard the Radian is an absolute NO GO in any seating position in a Suburban. Was really bummed about that as well, as I'd of ordered 3 of them if they'd of installed well! LOL

skaterbabs

Thanks, Kay. The LATCH book does say that there are locations for the anchors, but that they would need to be installed. I'm going to be getting a Radian for the Jeep if it fits, so I'll be able to try it in the Suburban. Have you tried a Husky in the 3rd row center?

ccjones

The Radian installs well in our 2001 Jeep Wrangler - rear-outboard passenger side with the lap/shoulder belt. So, hopefully, you will have good luck installing it in your Cherokee. I contacted Jeep and got the OK to use the cargo anchors in the back of the Wrangler for the tether, although the Radian is still RF and tethered to front passenger seat leg, so we won't have to worry about that for a long time. I think Jeep said they were "dual purpose" anchors, or something.

Colleen

skaterbabs

Colleen, your Wrangler doesn't have a center lap belt, does it? The main reason I'm looking at the Radian is for the center seating position in our Cherokee. I think I can fit the kids all in the back if I do PW/Radian/PW. Do you think it would install well with the lap-only belt?

Jeep did tell me that the cargo anchors could be used as tether anchors, but this was before I went in to order than anchor kit after. The LATCh manual specifies that they can NOT be used as tether anchors, which the dealership confirmed when I ordered my tether anchor kit. I guess since yours is newer that changed. (Mine is a '96)

ccjones

You're right. Wrangler back-seats are so narrow that they only have two seating positions, outboard-only. As such, there is no center seatbelt, just the two outboard seatbelts, which are lap/shoulder belts. I think you'll be fine installing the Radian with the lap-only belt. I seem to remember DH saying that installing the Radian FF would be much easier if it was a lap-only belt instead of a l/s belt.

Can you please check your LATCH manual when you get a chance and let me know if Jeep gave me incorrect information about the cargo anchors. We have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara Edition.

Thanks!
Colleen

skaterbabs

Good to know, I have to admit I have yet to attempt installing any seat in trhe Jeep that didn't go in easy as pie. lol
I did check my LATCh manual, and all it says is that the anchor locations are in the floor of the cargo area, it does not specify if the cargo anchors can be used as tether anchors.

urmysunshinex3

Senior Community Member
My Suburban is a 1999 and has 46 in of hip room. I just squeezed an Ultra Cargo and Futura in there side-by-side with enough room for my 9yo to sit outboard driver side. My neighbor had a 1993 Suburban and I know it had more leg room in the third seat, but I'm not sure about hip room.

As far as the tethers go, in my 1996 Tahoe the rear cargo anchors (closest to the rear doors)are tether anchors. The only way to tether in the center was with an adapter from GM that hooked to both outer anchors and has a metal loop in the center to tether to. No one at GM could verify though if I could tether in all 3 spots at the same time. This is the same exact set up as my 1999 Suburban also. Also, a car seat in the second row of seats could be tethered, but it tethers to the third row of seats which therefore makes if unusable.

You can bet my next vehicle is going to have tether spots everywhere. By then it won't matter though because my youngest are about to outgrow their Decathalons and move to boosters

skipspin

Wow, IF the cargo anchors in the wrangler can be used as tethers that could have saved us a lot of trouble. Jeep only responded with a "call 1-800 seat check or whatever" email after I spend 30 minutes writing a nice informative email about my problems getting an answer from our dealership about tether anchors. Well, regardless, we put in a tether anchor ourseves so it doesn't matter until we need another one!

If you don't get a good answer I'll ask the engineers again at Camp Jeep- not that they will know....

skaterbabs

Yeah, it took me going into the dealership with my LATCh manual to get mine installed, and then they put it on the wrong side. :rolleyes:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
urmysunshinex3 said:
My Suburban is a 1999

As far as the tethers go, in my 1996 Tahoe the rear cargo anchors (closest to the rear doors)are tether anchors.

This is the same exact set up as my 1999 Suburban also.

Hmmm...I was told by Chevy, that the rear cargo anchors where NOT approved to be used as rear tether anchors. I'd love it if they were, as I have 2 BVs in there, untethered. They are in rock solid...but it would be nice if I could tether.

Although, the rear anchors would be a problem when it comes to using the cargo area for storage with my strollers. I doubt I could get them in/out with the tethers attached to the rear anchors.

Any idea why your 99 Sub and 96 Tahoe are OK to use the anchors, but my 97 Sub is not?? And why the rear anchors instead of the closer ones? They are identical.

urmysunshinex3

Senior Community Member
I would call GM again or if you by chance have a knowledgeable dealer ask them. My manual for the 1999 Suburban clearly states that the rear anchors are tether anchors. That is the rear-closest to the door/tailgate. The cargo anchors right behind the seat are not reinforced, therefore not able to be used for a tether. I was still able to get my double stroller in/out with my seats tethered, but I had to slide one side other and then the other. Not easy, but doable.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I have tried a bunch of installs in the 3rd row of my 1999 Suburban. I could not get the Radian to install worth a hoot back there AT ALL. I have also tried installs with the Husky in the center & a BigKid outboard...it worked, but wouldn't be functional for daily use. Plus the space left on the opposite outboard side was about 8" wide, so not even wide enough for a passenger just using the l/s belt. I don't think I've ever gotten 3 across back there IIRC, but I also haven't tried both my Futura's back there together with (something) either. ;)

I have made the personal choice to use the cargo hooks closest to the 3rd row bench to tether to. My husband (who is an engineer at Ford) crawled under the truck to inspect the welds to see if they were any different and they are not. He said that more than likely the reason they aren't approved as TA's is because they've never been tested, and they've never been tested because it would cost more $$. *I* feel comfortable using them, but that is a personal choice I have made. (With 3 kids I've got lots of junk to haul around back there, and with 2 seats tethered in the 3rd row it was totally blocking all my cargo area)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC