Outgrowing RA rf...WWYD

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I know Britax has recently changed their rules from head even w/the shell to the 1" rule. Some people say to go by their specific manual, some say to go by the newest rules.

R, (almost 16mo old dfs) is only 22lbs, but just moved up the 2nd slots on his RA rf. I haven't measured how much room is above his head, but I would say a little over an inch.

The RA is his spare seat, and one we use in DH's truck, because I can't get two big Britax's in the truck and keep me from eating the dash. We are going to be taking a trip at Thanksgiving, and we will be taking the truck as we have a load to bring back w/a trailer and can't use the Suburban. It's a 7hr drive.

Should I keep him in the RA rf (even though he may be at 1" or less above his head), or put his brother (who is quite a bit bigger) in the RA ff and put R in the MA rf. They are twins, so they will be almost 18mo at the time of the trip.

FWIW, my RA is a few years old, so the instructions for it say 'head even w/the shell'.

ADS

zeo2ski

Aside from this upcoming trip, what are your plans for him? Will you be turning him FFing? Or the bigger child? I was in the same situation--DS outgrew the RA RFing right around 17-18 mos by height. I was not ready to turn him FFing, though, so we bit the bullet and bought a marathon to keep him RFing longer. (And now that he's two and nearing the 33 lbs and height...we're buying yet another, bigger seat to RF to the full 35 lbs.)

Okay I just reread your post--did you mean you can't fit two MA's in the truck? Now I understand what you're saying, lol. So I'm guessing you have one MA RFing in the middle seat, but the outboard one won't fit behind the front seat? One suggestion--now that they are older, have you tried putting the MA in with it less reclined RFing? If you can do that, it may take up less room front to back that the Roundabout.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have 5 car seats. 3 DCs, 1 MA and 1 RA. So we are covered there. But the MA doesn't fit behind the passenger seat unless it's completely upright, and that's not good for a 7hr trip. Even the RA pushes me forward, closer to the dash (no passenger side air bag), but it's not bad. But the MA...that would be really into the dash.

I have no desire to turn the boys FF. They will remain rf for as long as I have them, and they are within the limits of their seats. They are very rarely in the truck...I think they've ridden in it twice in the last 7mo that we've had them.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle....it fit. And leaves me with the same amount of room as I had w/the RA. Now loading him will present a slighty different set of challenges...as we loaded him over the top of the RA. But with the taller MA shell...he'll be climbing back there himself! Fortunately, he'll be almost 18mo...so it should work!

The taller part of the DC shell happens to hit right were the head rest on the passenger seat curves forward, so it works. I tried it with a BV once, and didn't get a good fit. But the DC works perfectly!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC