What to do when she's too big for the booster

brianlolly

My oldest daughter is 4'5" and 80 pounds. She just turned 7 this summer. She is a big, muscular tank of a kid and she's been happily restrained her entire life. Right now she's in a Graco Turbo Booster but this morning I noticed she can barely fit in it anymore. It is at the highest height adjustment (the top of her shoulders are level with bottom of headrest) and we can barely get the belt under the armrests and around her lap. I know the seat is supposed to last until 100lbs and the full 4'9", but I just don't think we'll be able to cram her in there much longer. Are we hitting the end of her carseat days? Just the thought scares me!

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

Lolly

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The regular Graco TurboBooster is a rather small booster. I know the Graco AirBooster has a bigger seating area and there are other boosters like the Sunshine Kids Monteray that is bigger and taller as well.

I'm not well versed in boosters, so I'm sure someone else will be along to suggest some other seats for you as well.

Susan

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
If the red belt guides are on top of her shoulders, she has outgrown the back of the seat. You have 2 options! You can buy a taller booster or you can remove the back of her turbobooster and use it as a backless booster. Just make sure that she is sitting in a seat that has head support, either a tall seatback or a headrest.

The Sunshine Kids Monterey is taller than the turbo. I'm not sure what other boosters are taller but I know others here are booster experts and do.:)

scatterbunny

What vehicle (year, make and model) do you drive?

There are a few taller highback boosters than the Turbo, and there are a few that are wider in the seating area, too. However, you could also consider a backless booster a reasonable option if your vehicle has rear headrests, or tall enough seatbacks to give your daughter adequate head support (at least up to the tops of the child's ears).

If you'd like a taller highback that's also wider than the Turbo in the seating area, I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Monterey. The Graco Air is also a nice, roomy booster, but it doesn't adjust any taller than the Turbo, in my experience, and it isn't available as a backless, only as a highback that converts to backless.

brianlolly

We're in a 2001 Honda Odyssey and a 2001 Chevy Lumina sedan. She's in the middle row captain's chair in the Odyssey, so I think she might be able to go backless, but her hind end isn't fitting in the Graco seat anymore so that won't work without buying a new seat, too.

scatterbunny

There are some inexpensive backless boosters that are wider than the Turbo. :) See if you can try a Cosco Ambassador/Highrise, or a Combi Dakota.

The Lumina doesn't have rear headrests, does it? Pay close attention to how high the seatback is when she's seated in a backless; it may or may not be adequate.

ginny4

we had purchased the monterey after my DS (9yo) had reached the turbo limit. we have short backed seats so a HBB is pretty much the only thing we can do before buying a newer van.
DS also rides in a backless cosco ambassador/ high rise that is quite roomy in the seating area in my moms van (it has nice headrests)
i would also consider if your DD is a sleeper. when my son falls asleep in the backless he leans WAY over & out of position. so a HBB is necessary for longer trips or late night trips that he would sleep. my son can fall asleep during a 15min ride when it is his normal bed time. LOL

brianlolly

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'll probably get a Monterey for the Lumina, because of the absence of back headrests. Then I'll get one of the wider backless boosters for my van. I'd prefer to get two Montereys, but that's a lot of money to spend if she'll be just as safe without one in the van.

scatterbunny

Just as safe is hard to prove. There is at least one study that says highback boosters provide side impact protection (even ones without advertised side impact protection) that backless boosters don't. Both do the job of positioning belts to avoid seatbelt syndrome, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC