News The difficulty of bringing autos into the US Market

Morganthe

An eye-opener for me. Talk about confusion!!

Lengthy with loads of information on vehicle rules & testing.
Enjoy :thumbsup:
Automakers Face conflicting Safety rules Worldwide

Competing interests among automakers, governments and the insurance industry are hampering efforts to standardize safety requirements worldwide. That means extra engineering to make different versions of vehicles for different markets.

Some differences are significant, like the U.S. rule that requires protection for passengers not wearing seat belts, which has no European equivalent. Others are small, like the U.S. requirement that vehicles have side lights, which are optional in Europe.

-------------
Medford said NHTSA's test to make sure cars are safe for unbelted occupants is important in the U.S. market, where people who weren't wearing seat belts make up 45 percent of all traffic fatalities.

"The data that we have really drives the direction and the nature of the standards we develop," he said.

But car makers grumble that NHTSA's requirement makes cars less safe for belted occupants, since protecting people without seat belts requires more powerful air bags and other changes.

"We would much prefer to design a vehicle that provides good protection for unbelted occupants but is tuned specifically to protect occupants that are doing what they're supposed to be doing," Vondale said.
Stupid 45%!!!! :mad:

ADS

wendy1221

Seriously. Maybe if they stop making concessions for people who don't wear seatbelts, those people will start wearing them all the time!

crunchierthanthou

Stupid 45%!!!! :mad:

but that's not saying 45% of people don't wear seatbelts, just that 45% of fatalities aren't. Otherwise, we could say that 55% of fatalities are wearing seatbelts and therefore not wearing one is safer. However, we know that's not the case. According to NHTSA, national seatbelt use was 82% in 2007. That means less than 1/5 of the occupants account for nearly half the deaths.

Morganthe

but that's not saying 45% of people don't wear seatbelts, just that 45% of fatalities aren't. Otherwise, we could say that 55% of fatalities are wearing seatbelts and therefore not wearing one is safer. However, we know that's not the case. According to NHTSA, national seatbelt use was 82% in 2007. That means less than 1/5 of the occupants account nearly half the deaths.

Well, duh, you're absolutely right :eek::D, but in my little ole non-mathmatical head I wasn't thinking that complex.
Call me Simple Simon, if you like. :whistle:

;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Why do you need more powerful air bags for unbelted occupants. I swear that my manual says it shuts OFF the air bag if you are not wearing your seat belt. I would think the air bag would have a likelyhood of killing you if you aren't belted (kind of like sitting way too close to the air bag). Off to check my manual....

Morganthe

When airbags were first implemented and up until very recently, I've read that vehicles are required to prevent an unbelted 6ft, 200lb male from crashing through the front window.

I don't know how that relates to those cars where the airbags don't deploy unless there's a seatbelt locked --- but I suspect there's also a weight sensor involved too. If the weight in the seat is over _____lbs, airbags will also deploy.

Gee, think of how much money car makers (and consumers) have had to pay for people who refuse to use their seatbelts.... then add insurance and health care too. All that money wasted because someon has loads of excuses why not to be safe. :thumbsdown:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Why do you need more powerful air bags for unbelted occupants. I swear that my manual says it shuts OFF the air bag if you are not wearing your seat belt. I would think the air bag would have a likelyhood of killing you if you aren't belted (kind of like sitting way too close to the air bag). Off to check my manual....

I don't know how that relates to those cars where the airbags don't deploy unless there's a seatbelt locked --- but I suspect there's also a weight sensor involved too. If the weight in the seat is over _____lbs, airbags will also deploy.

Well I was wrong (it's my theme for today). I read my manual and my air bags are dual-stage/dual-threshold. The dual-stage portion deals with inflation stages and severity of the crash. The threshold portion deals with unbelted or belted occupants. The air bag is apparently deployed at a lower threshold if the occupant's belt isn't latched.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC