Question Fines in Ontario for placing seats side by side?

Joyster

I'm sorry if those question has been asked, I tried searching back several pages, and didn't find anything.

I was told by a store clerk the other day that I'd receive a fine if I placed two car seats side by side. It's a moot point since they wouldn't fit in my car side by side, but I've never heard of that and have tried looking it up online for verification, and I found this place. :)

Many thanks.

Joy

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Uh uh, there is no fine for side by side installation, unless:

- one of the positions is prohibited (by the vehicle manufacture) for carseat use
- the carseats are grossly/wrongly installed when side by side

then you might be fined for not providing proper safe restraint, but not because they are side by side.

Btw, what was the context of that statement? Trying to sell you 2 big/wide carseats that wouldn't fit side by side in any vehicle?

Joyster

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The context was that I had bought another Marathon for my little guy who's outgrowing his infant seat, and she was carrying it out to the car for me. She took a glimpse at my current set up with the infant seat base next to the current Marathon and informed me that I would get fined if I were caught and to not install my Marathons side by side. Even if I wanted to, it would take an act of God to make that happen. *g*

The infant base is correctly secured as is the Marathon, that much I know, I was just surprised to hear about this fine.

santecno

I would have been fined a long time ago when I had 3 seats next to each other in a 2 dr Civic Coupe. I agree with Tam, unless the vehicle manual or car seat manual specifically states not to, then it's OK.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The context was that I had bought another Marathon for my little guy who's outgrowing his infant seat, and she was carrying it out to the car for me. She took a glimpse at my current set up with the infant seat base next to the current Marathon and informed me that I would get fined if I were caught and to not install my Marathons side by side.

Odd... I hope she does not continue to spread such untruth though.

We do want people to use carseats for their kids. We do recognise that not every family drive a van or SUV with more than 5 seaters. And we do know families do have more than 2 children. So, to make laws preventing side by side carseats would be asking for trouble :whistle:

bubbaray

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The context was that I had bought another Marathon for my little guy who's outgrowing his infant seat, and she was carrying it out to the car for me. She took a glimpse at my current set up with the infant seat base next to the current Marathon and informed me that I would get fined if I were caught and to not install my Marathons side by side. Even if I wanted to, it would take an act of God to make that happen. *g*

The infant base is correctly secured as is the Marathon, that much I know, I was just surprised to hear about this fine.

She probably just wanted to sell you TWO more seats. :thumbsdown:

Joyster

Odd... I hope she does not continue to spread such untruth though.

We do want people to use carseats for their kids. We do recognise that not every family drive a van or SUV with more than 5 seaters. And we do know families do have more than 2 children. So, to make laws preventing side by side carseats would be asking for trouble :whistle:

It was weird, I was really tired that day so didn't think of it on the spot, but once I got home, thought to myself how it wasn't feasible for there to be a law against side by side installation, otherwise everyone would have to be driving Safari's or Suburbans. Part of me wants to go back and tell her, I'm just not sure how best to do so diplomatically.

Joyster

She probably just wanted to sell you TWO more seats. :thumbsdown:

Well she couldn't, according to her logic, I only have room in my car for two. In theory I could squeeze three of different brands, but not three Marathons. Plus she had just made $300.00 off me, and that was her top carseat so unless she's crazy, she'd have to be trying to sell me something cheaper.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC