Question Clarify the Roundabout Label Please

starglowz

What is the rear-facing weight on the Roundabout??? The label is very confussing to me...
:confused:The first bullet on the label says: Use only in rear-facing position when using with an infant weighing less than 20 pounds.
:confused:The second bullet on the label says: Use only with children who weigh between 5 and 40 pounds and whose height is 40 inches or less. Rear-facing 5-33 pounds and forward facing max 40 pounds.

The infant that I Nanny for is nearing the 20lb. mark (19lbs. now) at 10 months old and I need to know if she can stay in the roundabout rear-facing... The label is not clear to me, is it 20lbs. or 33lbs.?... Her older brother is 38lbs. and 41" at 3.5 years old, so he is to tall to trade her carseats, and my daughter is 43lbs. and 39" at 3.5 years old so she is too heavy to trade carseats.

This is the carseat for the baby so I either need to turn it around FF when she hits 20lbs. (and hope that takes awhile) and then freak-out that she is FF so young or breathe a sigh of relief that she can stay how she is until she hits 33lbs...

Thanks in advance for your help...
(PS: I took a pic of the label but I can't get it to post)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It is confusing. They're following NHTSA's guidelines on wording, but they aren't very clear.

:confused:The first bullet on the label says: Use only in rear-facing position when using with an infant weighing less than 20 pounds.

It means you cannot use it ff before the child is 20 lbs (and at least 1 year). However, you can use it rf longer than that, as long as the child still fits by weight (33 lbs) and height (1 inch of shell above the child's head).

I would encourage you to keep her rf. One year and 20 lbs is the absolute minimum. The AAP recommends rf to the limits of the seat. Studies show that it is 4-5 times safer through at least age two.

MandiRN

What is the rear-facing weight on the Roundabout??? The label is very confussing to me...
:confused:The second bullet on the label says: Use only with children who weigh between 5 and 40 pounds and whose height is 40 inches or less. Rear-facing 5-33 pounds and forward facing max 40 pounds.
)

Yes she can stay RF until she is 33lbs (unless she gets too tall first). The first bullet you mention means that for an infant, the seat MUST ONLY be used RF until they are 20lbs. Legally, once a child is 1 year AND 20 lbs they can be turned FF. Just because she hits those two milestones doesn't mean you have to turn her though! Sounds like you want to keep her RF so go for it!

starglowz

Thank you, I do want to keep her RF as long as the seat will allow. I even educated mom on higher weight seats for the kids, they were both still safe at the time but mom had no idea that the son would max out the 5point at 40lbs. (he weighed 38lbs. at the time) she thought the seat worked until 100lbs. :( makes me so sad how the seats are advertised (I was once under the same impression of my CarGo) (I'm glad that Graco is stickering the GN with specific stickers for parents).

Thanks for the clarification. I wish that someone would start making commercials with carseat recommendations (RF as long as possible, and to stay harnessed as long as your car seat allows, booster musts, how to wear a seat-belt when you no longer have the help of a booster). I can't think of a better way to educate parents on keeping their kids safe. I was once in the dark and looking back it scares me to think that my daughter was FF before she needed to be. At the time I felt that she was too small but also was under the impression that she was 'required' to be FF at 1 year old. She hit 20lbs at about 6 months old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC