Question Do you see anything wrong with this install?

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
I just turned DD from RF & tethered to FF & tethered:eek:in her BLVD. I own an '03 CR-V and had her outboard RF, because the base sat on top of the buckle in the center position when RF so I could not get a safe install.
So I tried the FF install tonight in the center, thinking no way. But with the seat upright and FF the base sits more in front of the buckle and not on top as before.
I am attaching a ton of pics to see what you guys think.
Thanks!
P8190043.jpg

P8190042.jpg

P8190047.jpg

P8190046.jpg

P8190050.jpg

ADS

Chameleon

It looks like it's flush with the back of the seat on one side but not the other? Am I seeing that right? If so I'd try and even it out to be as flush to the car's seat as possible. However I know that's not always possible. It looks great otherwise.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It does look like the base is compressing the vehicle seat more on the buckle side than the other - did you lock the seat belt before you fully compressed it? I noticed you're not using the lock-off, so I'm assuming you're locking the seat belt instead...

Try buckling the seat belt without locking it, then tightening the seat belt as much as you can while compressing the carseat, and THEN pinch the seat belt so it stays that tight, and lock the seat belt. That should fix the "more compressed on one side" issue, at least, although from the pics it doesn't look like a huge issue.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
It does look like the base is compressing the vehicle seat more on the buckle side than the other - did you lock the seat belt before you fully compressed it? I noticed you're not using the lock-off, so I'm assuming you're locking the seat belt instead...

Try buckling the seat belt without locking it, then tightening the seat belt as much as you can while compressing the carseat, and THEN pinch the seat belt so it stays that tight, and lock the seat belt. That should fix the "more compressed on one side" issue, at least, although from the pics it doesn't look like a huge issue.

Hi Debbie, I tried the install following your advice and achieved the same results:rolleyes:. The base of the seat is still compressing the vehicle seat on the buckle side and not the other. However it is a rock solid install. Any other advice or should I leave well enough alone?

Defrost

Did they change that? I thought that was only for lap-only seat belts...

*goes to look up the manual*

check the manual on that i looked at mine ff install with lap shoulder belt the belt goes above the latch bar. ff install with just lap belt it goes below the latch bar. so she is right i believe with it above.

Defrost

Nope - FF with a lap/shoulder belt, it goes over the bar. :thumbsup:

It's just the lap-only belt that goes under the bar FF.

Mommy2Marcus

Nope - FF with a lap/shoulder belt, it goes over the bar. :thumbsup:

It's just the lap-only belt that goes under the bar FF.

What about with RF installed with a lap/shoulder belt. Does it need to be under or over the LATCH bar? I have mine under for RF with a lap/shoulder belt!

Dillipop

It's under for rfing.

The only reason(that I can see) it is over the bars for ffing with lap/shoulder is that there is no way you could go under the bars and have the shoulder part through the lockoffs.

Mommy2Marcus

It's under for rfing.

The only reason(that I can see) it is over the bars for ffing with lap/shoulder is that there is no way you could go under the bars and have the shoulder part through the lockoffs.

True! I remember doing it over for FF for the short time he FF'd in his MA, but was just wondering about RF as I have always done it under! There is NO WAY you could do it under the bars & still use the lock-offs FF with a lap/shoulder belt! Thanks for the answer!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The only issue I see that others haven't addressed is the non use of the lock off. Britax wants you to use the ff'ing lock off no matter what. You can still lock the seat belt with the use of the ff'ing lock off. It's only the rear facing lock off that you have the option to not use the lock off's as long as your vehicle seatbelt locks but still recommended if you can get them to close.

Also can you move the other seating positions buckle up and out of the way. It appears the base is actually sitting on it and not allowing a flush fit to the vehicle seat in the last picture.

amyg530

whats your DDs age/weight? do you have other people that ride with you? the buckles look like they should be able to be smooshed into the vehicle seat which might help on the passenger side where it looks like the base is on the buckle. what about just moving the seat outboard and installing it with LATCH?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC