Marathon or Husky for long trip

Dillipop

DS and I are heading down to N Carolina in a couple weeks with my parents for my brother's graduation. We will be travelling together in a 99 Buick Century and are trying to decide which seat to take with us. I automatically ruled out the cargo because it is the least comfy seat we have and we will be in the car for a total of 4 days back and forth (about 12-14 hours each way with an overnight stop about halfway).

So, my mom and I are going back and forth about the marathon and husky. I think DS will be more comfortable in the marathon since it is a bit more reclined and offers closer sides for sleep support. My mom thinks the husky would be more comfortable since it is roomier and DS would be able to cross his legs in it and we could just use a pillow for him while sleeping.

DS is almost 3, about 33-34 pounds and about 37 inches. He is on the second from top slot of the marathon and the second from bottom slot in the husky. When he falls asleep in the car, he doesn't seem to have a problem in either seat. However, it is only short distances, probably less than 20 minutes of sleep in the car.

If you were making this trip, which would you use?

ADS

LuvBug

I may be more inclined to use the husky, possibly with the recline bar. DS is much more comfy in his husky because he likes the roominess. But this is your kid lol! Which do you think he would be more comfy in? Which does he travel in the most? sleep in the most?

If you have to switch cars though, Id say the marathon cause its easier and quicker to switch.

Dillipop

The seat won't be moved at all once it gets into my parents' car. He mostly rides in the marathon in my car, but would chose to ride in daddy's car anyday...not sure if it's the car seat or just being with daddy. He begs to take Daddy's car, but since it is a 91 Subaru on it's last legs, we tell DS it is broken! (Unless Daddy has to drive him...that is part of the reason we got the husky, since it is soooo big, it should protect DS well) I really think he would be ok in either, but have never taken such a long trip with either of these seats, so have no idea.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We drove from CA to VA last summer... with one kid in each seat :). Of course they were older, but neither of them complained even a tiny bit about comfort. I'd be more inclined to go with the MA for such a little guy (my kids were 5 and 7 for our drive). And the year before that, I put the MA in rearfacing for my 31 pound dd, and put her FF in a booster seat too...that way she was facing me and easy to hand stuff to when awake, and VERY comfortably reclined for naps when she wanted to sleep (just her and me in a minivan..normally I don't have that much space, rofl!)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As someone who has been driving ~3 hour trips back-n-forth twice a week with my preschooler ... using both the Wizard & Husky for referrence ... if he fits the Marathon, THAT is the seat I'd choose :eek:

Leila is more comfortably in the Husky for short trips because she likes to fold her feet up with her knees out (which is difficult in the MA/WZ), but for the longer trip the WZ was definitely more comfortable because -- at least in my vehicle -- it sat her up just high enough to rest her heels on the vehicle seat cushion below ... in the Husky, they just dangle when she falls asleep & end up going numb so she was waking up with back aches :(

Good luck & have fun! :)

Dillipop

Thanks everyone! I think we'll take the marathon, since it sits farther back on the seat and is less likely to kick the passenger seat as often! Also, I find he can rest his feet (at least the heels) on the vehicle seat under the marathon as an alternative to the dangling. And we could put it in the center if we had to take one more person in the car. ( I also don't really feel like wrestling with the husky to get it in the car, 28 weeks pregnant!)

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just adding my 2 unneeded cents here. My DS LOVES the Husky but for sleeping/long rides he prefers the WZ. He is almost 4 and a little guy 34# at most and 38 " tall.

U

Unregistered

FWIW I just took a 7 hour trip with my 35# 3 year old in the husky. I thought about buying a scenero so I could rf him to make sleeping easier - but he didn't fit, nor would he have anything to do with it. The last trip 33# in evenflo truimph (which we both loved) he was very restless and fussy, had to stop every hour. This trip in the Husky he slept more then half way in both directions. When awake, he never asked to stop. He tried different positions and was very content. I think the roominess gave him more leg options, less discomfort. The crotch on the marathon was very snug for him, so I didn't even consider buying it for him, even though he is only in the 15th percentile for weight, 95th for height. The wings on the wizard and blvd freaked him out (he has sensory intergration issues and when he freaks it can be a huge deal), plus the same crotch problem (the shoulders also looked so snug - yet I have seen the pics of much bigger kids). My son just rests his head in the husky wings. He also has a cylinder like pillow that he rests against when he is awake. I did install the recline bar, but the seat is still pretty upright, and no problems with his head. Good luck!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My daughter is about the same for weight/height (lower percentile for weight, though) :) She loves the Husky for trips under 2 hours, but once we pass that threshold her legs are just too long to stay up on the Husky by themselves once she falls asleep & she LOVES head wings ... so she wakes up very cranky & uncomfortable :rolleyes: Kids are very different & I find myself having to take many things into consideration depending on the individual child :eek: Glad to hear your kiddo likes teh Husky so much *WOOHOO*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC