Safest truck? Help!!

MySweetAGL

We're looking to buy a used truck, a couple years old. Between the IIHS, NHTSA, and Informed for Life, it seems there is no "good" choice. I'm getting so frustrated. If a truck has good NHTSA and IIHS ratings, it's "above average risk" on Informed for Life. *sigh* We need one ASAP, as my daughter is in school now and dh will be taking her back and forth to school, with ds tagging along for the ride. Right now he has an old Chevy 1500 and it's not doing it for us. Bad crash ratings, no top tether ancors, seat's not deep enough (ds's Scenera hangs over the edge a bit). So really, anything newer would be better than what he has now, but I still want to get whatever's safest.
We're looking at the following (with 4-door option): Nissan Titan, Dodge Ram 1500, and Ford F-150.
Please help!

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
When looking at the IFL website for a certain vehicle model remember to look at if it was tested with or with out SAB (side curtain airbags). If it says with out remember those that do offer SAB will far better in testing and just may have never been tested. It is to my understand NHTSA & IIHS only test options that are standard equipment. It hasn't been until recently that auto manufactures started making SAB standard equipment.

I know the new '08 Silverado have really good crash ratings with NHTSA/IIHS & IFL.

The newer ones are all about the same. Don't go more than 4 yrs old or so. I wouldn't stress too much over it.

The other thing is, do you need a truck? Why not an SUV or minivan? If it's for your husband and your kid will rarely be in it, you're really stressing over nothing if they're all about the same.

And why those 3 models? Why not a Tundra or a Honda Ridgeline or a Chevy Silverado?

Melanie

And why those 3 models? Why not a Tundra or a Honda Ridgeline or a Chevy Silverado?

:yeahthat:

If you don't need a truck for heavy towing or hauling, I love the Ridgline. I think it's a very good truck for the majority of truck owners. My parents have one and I am so impressed by it. Car seats install very easily too.

popsicle

Our '07 F-150 held up very well to the wreck we just had. The entire front end is a crumpled mess but the cab is fine. I know it wouldn't do as well in a full side impact, but no full size truck will. We will be replacing it with another F-150.

:yeahthat:

If you don't need a truck for heavy towing or hauling, I love the Ridgline. I think it's a very good truck for the majority of truck owners. My parents have one and I am so impressed by it. Car seats install very easily too.

Yeah, we have a Ridgeline. AWESOME truck. Like most people, we don't need a full size pickup cuz we don't tow monster things. We got a bed extender so the bed is a usable length. The trunk is what convinced us to get it, cuz I'm not a truck guy but we wanted a truck bed to haul all sorts of crap (got our first house). It's ugly as sin, but usability is amazing. Since the back seats flip up, they say you can put a full size mountain bike back there without taking the front wheel off. I dunno about that, but I stuck a 50 inch Vizio plasma tv from Costco IN THE BOX back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC