higher weight limit harnessed seats

U

Unregistered

MY 3.5year old is 42lbs so we need a new carseat. I would prefer to keep her in a internall harness and not a booster.

Which carseats go up that high in weight?

ADS

melaniev

im in the same boat. so far I've found the 3 britax convertible ones ($300+) and britax regent booster which seems to be a little less expensive ($250), and the safety 1st Apex 65 (available at walmart).

U

Unregistered

I haven't spent $300 on any of my Britax seats. If you shop around online you can find the Marathon for low 200s. I would go with the Regent for a 3.5 year old since you can use it for several more years, if you have the room for it in your car.

U

Unregistered

There is also the Fisher Price Safe Voyage that harnesses up to 55lbs (same seat as the Britax marathon, just a stripped down, more affordable one) for $179.99 and the Radian that harnesses to 65lbs (also under $200) but some people have had installation issues with that seat. Just thought those were 2 more options to explore for you.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Click links for more details

The Radian has some negative reviews re: installation in some vehicles, so I suggest trying it before buying or making sure the retailer has a great return policy :eek:

The Apex MUST be used with a vehicle headrest - so if you don't have headrests, it's not an option....

I usually don't suggest the convertible rear-/forward-facing seats for kids who will use them rear-facing, unless there's a younger family member to hand it down to :)

The Regent is my top choice -- installs well in various vehicles & is very comfy....

It also helps sometimes to choose a few seats that would be acceptable to you (fits the child, fits the vehicle, will be used correctly everytime & also fitst he budget), then let kiddo make the final decision -- this helps with cooperation! :D

Last edited:

melaniev

I personally am leaning toward the regent as my next purchase although even on credit I can't swing it yet. DD's head is over the top of the RA and shoulders are just about above the holes where the straps come out of, depending how upright she is sitting (and how cooperative she's being).

I have a chrysler minivan. anyone anticipate problem with installation? i havent found it in any stores so would probably order on ebay ($250 free ship).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If she's forward facing then she has already outgrown her current seat & needs it replaced immediately :(

Also, it is not recommended to buy used carseats -- unless the eBay seller is a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, then I would not trust their carseat.... It's puting your child's life in the care of a perfect stranger :eek: You can't know if it has suffered a crash, if it's missing pieces, if it's expired, if the harness straps have been submerged in water or ironed, etc.
  • What is your daughter's age, weight & height?
  • What is your budget?
  • What year is your vehicle?
Maybe we can help you narrow down some safe affordable options :)

melaniev

no no no - the ebay one is 2006 regent brand new in box :)
don't worry, i'd never buy a used one on ebay.

she'll be 4 in July, weight approx 36-38lb (no scale), height 42".
budget is problem. have good credit.
primary vehicle is 2001 chrysler voyager.

the van's seat has a headrest directly above where the shell of the roundabout ends so I still feel safe with her there for the moment.

thanks for suggestions!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Great, the Regent sounds like an excellent choice :)

However, I am concerned that her shoulders are already above the top harness slots ... the Apex sounds like a good choice for you as well since you do have vehicle headrests ;)

Kellyr2

I have a Chrysler minivan with a middle row bench and my Husky (same as Regent) installs perfectly. I've read from others that installing in the captain's chairs is a great fit too. You shouldn't have any problem. Only thing - you didn't mention what year - does it have the tether? Once the child hits 50 lbs, the Regent MUST be tethered, and its always recommended.
I find LATCH installation with the Husky to be way easier, but the seatbelt does the job too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC