Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: DH rear ended

DH rear ended

Dh was rear ended today at a stop light by a guy who fell asleep at the wheel. The guy was going maybe 15 mph tops. Everyone was okay, you can barely see the scratches on the bumper of the NEW CAR (only 3 weeks old...got it with .4 miles on the odo too). The second worst part, the 2 NEW NAUTI'S were in it. I'll call Graco tomorrow and see if I can get a written statement about the seats needing to be replaced even though the kids weren't in the car. The insurance adjuster will not replace the seats because the kids weren't in the car (although he said he would if they had been there).

If anyone has any links stating that the seat has to be replaced in a fender bender if the kids were not in the car at the time of accident, please let me know! (I know what the manual says...I'm just trying to make the adjuster happy...the seats we only owned for 1 month and 1.5 months.)
    Karen
    A: 11 C: 9 M1: 5 M2: 6 months
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: DH rear ended

Isn't CA the state that is required by law to replace any carseats in a vehicle at the time of a collision? Or does that only apply to seats in use?

Would showing them your seat manuals be sufficient?
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: DH rear ended

The CA seat replacement law applies only to carseats that were occupied during a crash. Graco, however, does say to replace Graco carseats after any crash. Links to the Graco crashed seat FAQ and other insurance tips that could be helpful are in this article: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar