3rd row seat - no tether - who is safe?

Jan06twinmom

I'm still trying to figure out about what vehicle to purchase. One or the cars we like doesn't have latch or top tethers in the 3rd row seats. I can live without the latch, but I'm still wondering about the top tethers. We are looking at a new vehicle so there are shoulder belts and headrests in all positions. The vehicle was on the safety list I saw here for vehicles with the third row seating.

The third row would be for occasional use - mostly if we have family visiting and we want to go places together as a family. Since we keep cars for a long time, children could include newborns to teenagers over the course of the next 10 years. The rest of the time, my twins would be in the middle row with latch and tethers.

So who would be safe in the third row? Who would not be safe? (please tell me why they are not safe.) If anyone wants to rank these by safest to least/not safe, please do...

Infant in an infant seat

Infant rear-facing in a convertible seat

Toddler/preschooler in a rear-facing convertible seat (my DD is 3 1/2 years old and will probably stay rf for another 6 months to a year at her current rate of growth)

Child in a forward-facing 5pt harness car seat (Is there a difference if the child is in a Britax Decathlon/Marathon or Radian? I thought that I read the Radian has lower head excursion so it would be safer.)

Child (6 years or older) in a high back booster.

Child (8 year or older) in a low back booster.

Child who passes the 5 step test for the seat

Adult (who also passes the 5 step test)

ADS

christineka

Without tethers I would give the ffing harnessed kids priority in the middle row. The rest don't use tethers. I have tethers on the floor of my van. I arranged things so that there were rfing seats behind the tethered seat. That way no one has to trip over the tether.

Jan06twinmom

I'm the OP of this thread and I still have more questions.

So are children in a 5pt harness seat without a top tether unsafe? Or is it just that the top tether makes it safER?

Why is it that the 5pt harness car seat needs a top tether and head excursion is a concern - but a high back booster doesn't have a top tether and head excursion isn't a concern?

One of my friends is in a similar situation. She has her 4 1/2 year old twins in Britax Marathon seats in the 3rd row of the Trailblazer. It doesn't have top tethers (which is the reason she didn't buy two Regents, since it requires it over 50lbs). Her twins are about 42in tall and probably a little over 40lbs. So are her children unsafe in this position? Would it be safer for her children (turn 5 in Jan) to be in high back boosters since they don't use top tethers or would it be safer for her children to be in the 5pt harness without the top tether?

Are some car manufacturers allowing top tethers to be retrofitted with newer vehicles?

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC