True fit incompatibility?

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I got the True Fit for DS a week ago and finally installed it yesterday. He's 27lbs in just a diaper so I bought the only seat in Canada that can RF higher than 30lbs.

When I first installed it directly on the seat, the harness adjuster was so far down that I couldn't loosen it because once I wedged my hand down in there, it was also holding the harness adjuster (the part that hangs out the front) tight.

So I took it out, and put a rolled up fleece blanket under it (Trudy~snowbird here on cs.org had used this same blanket to help me get my EFTA at a better angle a while back). The angle is much better (DS's head was flopping forward when he rode in it today when it was so upright), and I can reach the harness adjuster - barely.

The problem is that there is a round "button" on my seat belt that lines up perfectly with the lockoff farthest from the buckle. I physically cannot get the seatbelt any tighter to move the button out of the way, and if I loosen the seatbelt, then the seat moves from side-to-side. If I have the seat more upright, I can't reach the harness adjuster properly. If I recline it anymore, it's going to interfere with the seat in front, not to mention DS will not be happy at a 45degree angle.

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV and am wondering if this seat is incompatible with my van.

Here is the seat installed with the blanket (the blanket puffs out at the edges, it's very compressed under the seat itself).
truefit1.jpg

The plastic button on the seatbelt that is on the lockoff
truefit2.jpg

How far my hand has to go down between the seat and the car seat to TOUCH the adjuster (this is with the blanket under the seat)
truefit3.jpg

Any tips or ideas?

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
The little round button can be popped off with a flathead screwdriver.

I can't help with the adjuster--I'm not familiar enough with the TF yet.

TerisBoys

The button is to keep the belt from retracting too far in and making it hard to grab.

It will leave a small hole, but it won't fray. Techs recommend this often.

A credit card works to pop them off too.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It should work now with you popping that stopper off.

I thought I had the same issue with the seatbelt stopper on my Odyssey ff but remarkably the ff lock-off closes fine, right on top of the stopper. And thankfully, the stopper does not line up right at the rf lock-off as yours does.

Forward-facing
186_8698.JPG

Rear-facing
186_8642.JPG

Yeah, the second pic, rf only has the bottom seatbelt portion thru the lock-offs. I was just showing that the double webbing on my Odyssey were too thick to go through the lock-off :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC