Question SUV vs. Van

U

Unregistered

Odyssey lease is up. Considering 09 Pilot, 09 MDX or possibly another Odyssey or Sienna. Husband really wants 4WD so the Odyssey is out on that count. We are both sick of driving a minivan so leaning toward the first two. We have two kids: 6 and 3 1/2 years old. I do a ton of carpooling (short trips) so we need easy access to the third row. Longer trips, it is almost always just our two kids in the back. Obviously safety is our first priority, but after that convenience and ease of use. Does anybody have any experience comparing these vehicles?

ADS
ease of use would depend really on what seat your two kids use. if your 6 year old is in a belt positioning booster then an SUV would be easy. just undo the belt and move the booster to get to the third row. if your 6 year old is in a harness and the seat is belted in how often do you want ot be moving the seat. remember that the more you more it the more chance there is for an incorrect install.
i test drove a pilot before deciding on my odessey. it depends on who you are putting in that third row. you need to remember they are shorter then the minivans leaving less room between the second and third row. not comfortable for a teen or adult for more then 1 or 2 hours. they are quite tight. also you need to check your child in there seat my daughter in the third row of the pilot in her marathon was very unconfortable.

Melanie

ease of use would depend really on what seat your two kids use. if your 6 year old is in a belt positioning booster then an SUV would be easy. just undo the belt and move the booster to get to the third row. if your 6 year old is in a harness and the seat is belted in how often do you want ot be moving the seat. Remember that the more you more it the more chance there is for an incorrect install.
i test drove a pilot before deciding on my odessey. it depends on who you are putting in that third row. you need to remember they are shorter then the minivans leaving less room between the second and third row. not comfortable for a teen or adult for more then 1 or 2 hours. they are quite tight. also you need to check your child in there seat my daughter in the third row of the pilot in her marathon was very unconfortable.

Was this in a 08 & prior Pilot or in an 09 Pilot? Just wondering if there is a difference in leg room. I looked them both over but I can't remember about the 3rd row seat.

I really liked the 09 Pilot & am still deciding between that or another van. I'd also recommend taking your car seats. With your kid's ages, I don't think the SUV would be difficult if you can get both car seats side by side in the second row & still flip the second row seat. I know people do it, but I think it's silly to have a vehicle where you have to load passengers through the hatch. Especially if there is another option. :twocents:

anh0371

Right now our car seats are an Eddie Bauer convertible for the 3YO and a Safeguard Go for the 6YO, but we are will buy new ones for the new car. We test drove the 09 Pilot last week and I was impressed with the leg room in the third row. I sat back there - briefly - and had an unexpected amount of space (I'm 5'4"). We do need easy access to the third row for school carpooling, but other than that, our third row won't be used for passengers.

southpawboston

if convenience and easy of access are high priorities, i'd rule in favor of a minivan over an SUV. you can get some minivans in AWD (but why is your husband so insistent, anyway? 4WD really isn't necessary unless you live in an extreme climate).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC