Question Car seat help for child with CP

U

Unregistered

Hello all! I am looking for a car seat that will work well for my daughter with Cerebral Palsy. She is 12 months old, not yet 20 pounds and 29". Her insurance company will pay for an adaptive car seat, but they offer none rear face. I was faced with the decision to either turn her around and have the insurance company pay for it or keep her RF and buy one myself. I have decided to buy one myself so as to keep her RF longer.

She hasn't got full control over her head and trunk, though she does have some and is getting stronger and stronger as time goes on. Ideally, a seat with even just a small recline would suffice. Also, something to keep in mind, once she is ready to turn around, she would then be able to get a car seat from the insurance company, so I needn't be as concerned about how well the seat will serve her once she is turned around.

Lastly, I have two other children (ages 2 and 4) that are in FF car seats, so I need something that can fit across the back with 2 other seats.

I cannot afford $300 for the Britax Boulevard as was suggested to me. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
What seats are your other children in? It'll be easier to brainstorm something that will puzzle next to them if we know what you are already working with. (oh, and what car? That might help, too!)

:)

Shaunam

As small as she is, I would get maybe a safety 1st uptown/avenue. They are quite narrow and will rearface to 35 lbs with a tall shell. The uptown is narrower through the shoulders so it will provide more support through her torso. Once she is is close to outgrowing the seat forward facing, then you could go for the SN seat (why on earth do they hand these out to tiny 12 month olds anyways! they offered one to us!).

The radian is narrow and will fit well with other seats in a 3 across, but she will not be very well supported through her torso unless you get the 80, which has pillows and then you are back up to almost $300. You can always roll towels and put them beside her, but with the radian having kind of shallow wings, I'd be worried they wouldn't stay in place.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The radian is narrow and will fit well with other seats in a 3 across, but she will not be very well supported through her torso unless you get the 80, which has pillows and then you are back up to almost $300. You can always roll towels and put them beside her, but with the radian having kind of shallow wings, I'd be worried they wouldn't stay in place.

The Radian's sides look a lot shallower than they are, probably because we are constantly comparing them to Britax's TSIP-wings. Of course, something with deeper sides/wings will definitely help out more, but if she absolutely has to get the Radian in order to get everyone to fit, I wouldn't be too worried about the rolled-up towels not staying in place. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Once she is is close to outgrowing the seat forward facing, then you could go for the SN seat (why on earth do they hand these out to tiny 12 month olds anyways!

:yeahthat:

I agree that the Safety1st Avenue would probably work well for you at this time. I am not sure how severe your DD's CP is and how much additional support she needs in the seat, but the Avenue has some lateral support. It doesn't have as much as a Britax has, but it does have some. With rolled towels or other supports added, it might have adequate support.

The Avenue is narrow, so it should fit with other seats. The only problem is that it doesn't have a base, so it doesn't puzzle all that well with other baseless seats.

Shaunam

The Radian's sides look a lot shallower than they are, probably because we are constantly comparing them to Britax's TSIP-wings. Of course, something with deeper sides/wings will definitely help out more, but if she absolutely has to get the Radian in order to get everyone to fit, I wouldn't be too worried about the rolled-up towels not staying in place. :)

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm used to seeing much bigger kids in them which probably skews my perception a bit. I do know that I've been eyeing the uptown for Charlie lately because it just seems so snug and supportive. I like the headwings on the diplomat, but it's annoying to have to roll towels to put beside her and even then it doesn't really do the job. She has better head control than trunk strength anyway.

Shaunam

WHat's an adaptive carseat?

Just a special needs car seat. Goes to a higher height and weight, might come with extra support pillows. Some examples: britax traveller, merritt roosevelt, columbia SN car seat. They are very pricey but insurance will often cover them. But a lot of kids can use higher-weight car seats nowadays and not have to worry about a SN seat until much later, thanks to the large selection of bigger seats. :D

firemomof3

For head, neck & trunk support I would suggest the uptown (it has more padding than the avenue) or the recaro signo which has excellent support & reclines nicely forward facing (but its $290)

bethng

Is there anyway the Hippo could be used (such as with rolled up towels to support her head etc....)? That way she can RF AND ins pays for it. Have no idea if this is possible but thought I would throw it out.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all the replies! I don't know much about car seats and all the differences and all that. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you the name of the car seats my first 2 are using. (Although, with all the stuff I've been reading and people I have been talking to, I am planning on checking into the safety of the 2 I am using.) I have a a 2005 Saturn VUE, so it's got decent room back there and I've fit three car seats across the back (aside from the carrier base my youngest is in) when I've had my neice in it.

As for the Hippo, all I know about that is the guy who came to talk about adaptive equipment for her said it was the only rear-facing one that ins. would cover and he'd look into whether it was appropriate for her. After waiting a couple of weeks for answer from him, my daughter's PT got in touch with him and he told her it was not. Not sure why.

Her delays are labeled as significant, though she is gaining strength. She has better head control than even a few weeks ago. She still can't hold it up all the time, but when she tires, she brings it down instead of dropping it down. She can also keep it up for longer periods of time. Her trunk is still a little floppy, but doing much better than before and she can even take about half her weight when in an assisted seated position.

Conversely, her arms and legs are tighter and she is often fisted.

You have all given me some suggestions I plan to look into, but I admit to being a little overwhelmed right now! Anything else I should consider?

Shaunam

As for the Hippo, all I know about that is the guy who came to talk about adaptive equipment for her said it was the only rear-facing one that ins. would cover and he'd look into whether it was appropriate for her. After waiting a couple of weeks for answer from him, my daughter's PT got in touch with him and he told her it was not. Not sure why.

Her delays are labeled as significant, though she is gaining strength. She has better head control than even a few weeks ago. She still can't hold it up all the time, but when she tires, she brings it down instead of dropping it down. She can also keep it up for longer periods of time. Her trunk is still a little floppy, but doing much better than before and she can even take about half her weight when in an assisted seated position.

Conversely, her arms and legs are tighter and she is often fisted.

I don't think ins would pay for the hippo unless she's casted. Which she may or may not ever have to have hip surgery. I know it's common for kids with CP to need that surgery. They should pay for it if she does though and then you could continue to use it if you wanted.

You DD sounds just like mine. Is she "officially" dignosed yet? They won't diagnose DD until january, but I already know she's mixed tone quad.

It sounds like you have everything covered. And you know where to come if you have questions about your older kids' seats, or installations. :D

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I agree the Radian or Uptown would make good choices for DD. The tall seat backs will allow for longer use rear facing - especially since many kids with CP are low/under weight.

Any stores near you that carry these seats? Neither are commonly seen in stores in my area, but if you can see them, buckle your daughter in them, and try them in your car, I think you'll feel much more confident about your purchase.

A caution to the extended RF'ing plan would be the high tone in her legs - it might soon become uncomfortable for her to sit rear facing even though she's within the weight limit ("Criss-cross Applesauce" can be tough for kids with high tone in their legs & hips. If she wears AFOs and is in a 3 across situation, there will be limited options for her legs/feet. AFO's - plastic braces, ankle/foot orthotics (sp?) for the lower leg/ankle - combined with high tone might significantly limit her ability to remain rf ing).

I'd also encourage you to look at the seats you have now: Brand, seat, and expiration date as well as the "stats" for your other kids (age, torso height, & weight) and post them here because:

1) Depending on the DOM and the size of your older kids, you might soon be needing a different seat for one of them. Any chance one of the seats is a convertible that you could try with DD in the car?

2) Even though the seats are FF, you could try your daughter in the seats (while playing & eating at home) to see how the different seat styles work for her.

3) "We'll" be in a better position to assess what might work in your vehicle.

Shaunam

A caution to the extended RF'ing plan would be the high tone in her legs - it might soon become uncomfortable for her to sit rear facing even though she's within the weight limit ("Criss-cross Applesauce" can be tough for kids with high tone in their legs & hips. If she wears AFOs and is in a 3 across situation, there will be limited options for her legs/feet. AFO's - plastic braces, ankle/foot orthotics (sp?) for the lower leg/ankle - combined with high tone might significantly limit her ability to remain rf ing).
what might work in your vehicle.

I worry about this. DD is becoming more spastic in her legs and there are times I can't even bend her knees, ankles, or hips. Funnily enough, she never extends her legs in her car seat. She always extends her arms though and sticks her hands right into the velcro on her straps and it leaves marks. :rolleyes: Here's hoping she stays relaxed in her legs!

sunnymw

You can always buy the Radian 65 and then buy the padding to go in it--the "comfy soft". That'd be MUCH cheaper :)

As for ERF, the Radian has more leg room in our vehicles than the Boulevard... plus if the seats puzzle just right or she's outboard, she could hang them off the side, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC