Talked to Dodge about replacing Gen 3 buckles...

S

SingleMomTo2Girls

Needed last 8 of vin number, for estimate.

All of the seatbelts are that way, so all need to be replaced.

1 lap belt in center third row can not be replaced with lap shoulder belt.

Will probably only replace it with Gen 3 buckles.

Left side, $102 and Right side, $106 for second row. $22 for buckles.

3rd row $124, $124. Buckles $24 each. This all includes lap belt.

No idea if the Gen 3 seatbelts and Gen 4 buckles are compatible. If they were, then it would only be $22 for second row and $24 each for third row... the $100 ones are for the seatbelts themselves. They don't do locking latchplate ones so I have no reason to get the seatbelts replaced if the Gen 3 seatbelts are compatible with the Gen 4 buckles.

I did not get terribly nasty with him but when he told me they would only replace them with the same ones from our model year I told him that wouldn't work. I told him that when you put a child in a booster seat in the van that if they tilt to the side it unbuckles their seat or the seat next to them. I told him to this point I've used LATCH but that I need to start using the seatbelt soon and these seatbelts are not acceptable.

If they call me back and tell me that I do have to replace the seatbelts and buckles because Gen 3 and Gen 4 are not compatible, then what do I do? Should I just suck it up and spend the $400 to do it??? Or only do the seating position my kids sit in? This is REALLY not something I can afford to spend money on right now but I'll do it if I have to. Since there is no recall they have no obligation to replace them for free or cheap right?

This is so frustrating... I would rather just trade in my van for a 2004, but I didn't get a very positive response when I brought up that idea...

Thanks in advance.

ADS

scatterbunny

So they're saying they can replace the Gen3 buckles with Gen4 buckles? That's good news. Fingers crossed the Gen3 belts/male buckle tongues are compatible with the Gen4 female buckles, so you don't have to replace the entire van-ful of seatbelts!

S

SingleMomTo2Girls

They haven't quite said they will replace them with Gen 4 yet...however, if they come back and tell me they will only replace them with Gen 3 buckles I plan to get nasty. I will tell them I want it in writing that if that seatbelt fails in an accident they will be fully responsible if my kid dies... ect. They'll never do that, they'll have to replace them.

Then there is the fact that my cousin owns the dealership, I'll play that card if I have to as well.

scatterbunny

GOOD LUCK! :D I can't wait to hear back with confirmation of the type of buckles they're willing to put in.

Oh, and I'd play every card necessary and possible, too. ;)

wondering1

I am pursuing this now. Any additional information from your experience? Is this issue Stickied somewhere in the forums? I came across it haphazardly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC