Car Seat for Airport/Flight Transportation

monsterling

Hi, I would like to bring my car seat during my next trip to CA. I have a Britax Boulevard and a True Fit. Which one is easier for me to bring to the airport? It seems both are kinda heavy too.... And, what is the better way to bring the car seat in and out of the airport ? (except for the go-go-kidz cart, it's a bit expensive for using once a while.) Thanks. ;)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I haven't managed to get my hands on a True Fit, but I did use our Boulevard -- we traveled from NY to Florida, just me (the 100# single mama with chronic illness) & my then 3 year old who was sleeping half the time.... I used a large rolling duffle bag & bungeed the carseat + carryons onto it and/or you can bungee it onto a cheap folding cart & put the carryons in the carseat.

Just a tip: print the FAA policy about using your carseat on the plane & be prepared to show the FAA approved sticker.

natysr

I use the Traveling Toddler. I have been really happy with it. It secures the carseat to your rolling carry-on. It then also doubles as a stroller. It is especially great now that the airlines are charging up the wazzu for checked luggage.

134287406_pZ2Hc-M.jpg

MomToEliEm

When moving my seats around the airport, I just used a cheap luggage cart from Walmart. I used the bungy cords to strap the seat in. It seemed to work just fine for me.

I haven't used the true-fit or the marathon in the airplane so I don't have experience with those. I have used the roundabout though with no issues. With the marathon, if the seat is forward facing already, make sure to ask for a seatbelt extender to make it easier to get the seatbelt unbuckled at the end of your trip. If you can't get an extender, make sure to flip your buckle backwards so that you can release it when needed.

As the previous poster mentioned, always carry the FAA regulations with you so you won't have issues using a seat on the plane. Here is the regulations in case you haven't seen them before:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As the previous poster mentioned, always carry the FAA regulations with you so you won't have issues using a seat on the plane. Here is the regulations in case you haven't seen them before:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

:thanx!: didn't notice my attempt to edit in the link didn't work....

Another tip: when installing the BV FF, twist the plane belt to make it easier to unbuckle afterwards. I think this is explained @ http://cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx & maybe @ http://www.thecarseatlady.com/airplanes/airplanes.html :question:

crunchierthanthou

How old is your child?

We use a luggage cart for our MA, too. We don't use a stroller and ds rides in the seat if we're in a rush or he's tired (like at 5 am after an overnight flight). You can secure the seat to the cart using the LATCH and tether straps. You do have to take it off at security, but that only takes a minute.

0414081255-1.jpg

Kat_Momof3

if the kid could rf in the truefit without the headrest, I'd take THAT... why?? easier to fit rf on the plane without interfering with the seat in front of it.

and if not, I'd take the Marathon, because, rf, the belt can route over the cover (easier for airplane buckles).

If ff, I'd take the Truefit if it sits lower, because then the kid would have a better chance to use the tray....

monsterling

Thanks for all your inputs.

Another question: If I am use the cheapy luggage cart or the "Travel Toddler" System, do I need to take out the car seat when I go through the security checkpoint?

And, which car seat is lighter? Blvd or True Fit (w/headrest)?

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

Thanks for all your inputs.

Another question: If I am usually the cheapy luggage cart or the "Travel Toddler" Syste, do I need to take out the car seat when I go throught the security checkpoint?

And, which car seat is lighter? Blvd or True Fit (w/headrest)?

yes, both need to come off in order for it to fit through the xray machine. IME, it takes less than 1 minute at either end. I've read that you can also ask them to hand scan, but I think that would take just as long as removing the cart or luggage.

I think the BV is around 20 lbs, and the TF is closer to 24-25.

Northriver

Disney08276.jpg

This is actually a Roundabout in a Maclaren Volo, but all the larger Britax seats fit in the Volo as well, upside down, they are quite stable, I do not use a bungi.

I pull the suitcase with one hand, and push the stroller with the other, and pry my toddler doesn't run off, lol! When we get the suitcase checked, I usually let her push the stroller.

I only take the small sling style backpack show in the picture for a carry on. That is on my back, my child walks down the aisle of the plane IN FRONT of me while I carry the seat. Not all airlines let us preboard, especially when flying out of Orlando. :( But so far, I've managed to get through the airport and on the plane several times with just me and my child.

MommyG

How old is your child?

We use a luggage cart for our MA, too. We don't use a stroller and ds rides in the seat if we're in a rush or he's tired (like at 5 am after an overnight flight). You can secure the seat to the cart using the LATCH and tether straps. You do have to take it off at security, but that only takes a minute.

0414081255-1.jpg

I LOVE this picture! Thanks for posting it!

I got this tip on here and that looks like the exact luggage cart I bought. I got mine at Target. Very cheap. It goes up to 155 pounds and I can use it long after car seats are not a factor for us.

Cross country flights were a breeze! I just "installed' it using the tethers, too. I had a bungee cord as well, but lost that somewhere bewteen Atlanta and Houston but found I didn't need it anyway.

Having a decent car seat at destination.....PRICELESS!

Thanks car-seat.org!

crunchierthanthou

I LOVE this picture! Thanks for posting it!

I got this tip on here and that looks like the exact luggage cart I bought. I got mine at Target. Very cheap. It goes up to 155 pounds and I can use it long after car seats are not a factor for us.

Cross country flights were a breeze! I just "installed' it using the tethers, too. I had a bungee cord as well, but lost that somewhere bewteen Atlanta and Houston but found I didn't need it anyway.

Having a decent car seat at destination.....PRICELESS!

Thanks car-seat.org!

thanks. :) Yeah, that's the one from Target. We used a bungee at first too, but it's plenty stable with just the LATCH straps and tether.

monsterling

thanks. :) Yeah, that's the one from Target. We used a bungee at first too, but it's plenty stable with just the LATCH straps and tether.

Hi, thanks for all the advise. Btw, do you have a pics on how a car seat tight on a luggage cart w/ the LATCH & tether? I tried but it seems so loose...Or, do I need to tight with a Travel Toddler? TIA.

tomski12

I use the Traveling Toddler. I have been really happy with it. It secures the carseat to your rolling carry-on. It then also doubles as a stroller. It is especially great now that the airlines are charging up the wazzu for checked luggage.

A question I would have about the Traveling Toddler is I've heard it is not advisable to carry your carseat by the straps. Wouldn't the Traveling Toddler be, essentially, carrying the seat by the straps? Wouldn't it seem to exert more force (especially if the child is in the seat) than carrying the empty seat by the straps?

crunchierthanthou

When the manual says not to carry it by the strap, it specifically means the harness adjuster strap. Avoiding carrying it by the actual harness is mentioned in some carseat manuals as well.

Here's how I use the LATCH straps to connect to the luggage cart.

empty cart-
0811081104.jpg

first, I thread the tether through the top section of the cart (under the handle, over the middle bar and inside the upright bars). Attach and tighten it and use the cart strap to stabilize the seat a bit. Then connect and tighten the LATCH straps.
0811081108.jpg

closer view of the LATCH connectors. note: they're upside down for this. I didn't want to switch them just to put it back in the car. :eek: I put them on a section of cart where two bars meet so that they don't slide to the side.
0811081109.jpg

Mom2Livi

For me, the easiest seat to travel with has been the Cosco Scenera. Hands down. It is super light and very easy to travel with, and it comes with a carrying case that has a little handle. I hook the handle onto my stroller handle and away we go. I take one large suitcase that I check, so that I don't have to lug it with me (I have someone help me get to the check in spot, so that I don't have to mess with my luggage, and then someone meets me at the baggage claim). I have my stroller which you can gate check, and my diaper bag, car seat, and toddler. I carry the car seat onto the plane in it's carrying bag, which is really not that hard. It's really easy to install on the airplane, and to get in and out of it's bag. It's simple to pack up after your flight and take with you. And let me tell you, it's so nice to be able to strap your toddler in during a 4 hour flight. With that and a portable DVD player, you are set! :thumbsup: I fly monthly, so we have a routine down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC