Love your Subaru

ADS

TerisBoys

Wow! :eek: That's like my worst nightmare--crashing into a semi truck, or a log truck. :( I hope the man recovers.

That's one of my big fears - I rarely drive freeways because I am terrified of semis.

My biggest fear though is some idiot cutting Brian off (happens a lot) and him not being able to stop in time. If he harmed anyone whether it was his fault or not the guilt would eat him alive :(

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
WOW!!! Look at how well that passenger compartment stayed intact. There was no engine compartment left but the passenger compartment look good for the type of crash.

I hope the driver recovers fully from the accident.

valleyfam

WOW! I had a Subaru very similiar to that one before my van and man to see it with the front gone.:eek: For those unfamiliar with the car it has a very long nose. I certainly hope he recovers.

twokidstwodogs

That's my car! Okay, not actually my car, but identical except for the model year. Though I must say, in the pictures, it looks more like an Outback than a Legacy wagon. I know the article says it's a Legacy, but the Legacy does not have cladding over the wheels.

Either way, I'll feel even better when I'm on the interstate in it!

mimieliza

That's my car!

Okay, you totally had me for a second, I thought you were the person who had been in the wreck.

I keep hearing about amazing crashes that people managed to survive in their Subarus. One of my mother's co-workers rolled her Forester going over Santiam Pass last winter (very icy pass in the Cascades, sharp turns, pitch black at night, we have to drive that way all the time). She walked away without a scratch - no side airbags on her model year, either.

I drive a Forester, and if I can't afford something fancy and new with all the latest safety features, I'm glad I at least have a Subaru to get me through the winter weather.

Kyras_Mama

That's my car! Okay, not actually my car, but identical except for the model year. Though I must say, in the pictures, it looks more like an Outback than a Legacy wagon. I know the article says it's a Legacy, but the Legacy does not have cladding over the wheels.

Either way, I'll feel even better when I'm on the interstate in it!

I think it's a Legacy Outback Wagon. Subaru loves combining their models. We are the proud owners of a Subaru "Impreza Outback Sport Wagon". That's always a joy to have to tell a mechanic or insurance agent because they only made it one year and the guy never believes they really made it. i don't drive on the freeway either except out of the city or at night, more because i get so nervous i'd consider myself a danger. I do worry though that someday a semi isn't gonna see us. I hope this driver ends up being alright!

IsasMom

I just traded in my 98 Legacy Outback today... on a Forester. The couple who picked up their car before us only buys Subarus because the woman's sister survived an accident with a semi in one. Apparently her hubby has a great job and offers to get her anything... BMW, Lexus, whatever but she's sticking with the Subaru. I'll have to fw this link to my dh.

twokidstwodogs

I think it's a Legacy Outback Wagon. Subaru loves combining their models.

They do indeed, and it's very confusing! The original Outbacks were sportier versions of both the Impreza and the slightly larger Legacy. So older Outbacks are either Legacy Outbacks or Impreza Outbacks. At some point, however, the Outback line split off on its own. There are no more Legacy Outbacks, but I think there is still an Impreza Outback being made. Is that what yours is? I know that as of 2008, there are no more Legacy wagons or Outback sedans. I'm pretty sure this is because Outback wagons are classified as SUVs by the EPA, and selling more of them helps Subaru improve its fleet fuel economy.

Last edited:

Heather98012

I'm considering getting rid of my Hyundai Tucson (only 1705 mpg avg), taking my dh's Toyota Sequoia (17 mpg avg...but I'd drive it a lot less than him), & getting him a Subaru. Either a Legacy sedan or an Outback (shocked that he would consider a wagon, but it's his ride!). Amazing pics of that accident!!! I've heard their AWD is amazing.

Does everyone love their Subbies? What are you getting for city & hwy MPGs? TIA!

mimieliza

Does everyone love their Subbies? What are you getting for city & hwy MPGs? TIA!

Gas mileage is one thing I DON'T love about my Subaru. My Forester gets about 21-22 mpg overall. Outback wagons have more room and get similar gas mileage. The AWD really consumes a lot of gas.

I totally recommend a Subaru if you have to do any serious snow/ice driving. If you live in a warmer climate, I think there are safe 2WD vehicles that get much better gas mileage.

I live in a mountain area. In the snow, I am totally spoiled now and won't drive anything but my Subaru. I have studless snow tires, and can get through any type of winter weather.

mom2juliarose

I'm probably in the minority, but I do NOT love my '00 Subaru Outback wagon, and we'll be selling it soon. I wanted one so badly that it was all I would look at when we car shopped at Christmas '04. We bought it from the dealership, it did have high mileage (110K) but we were told they were built like tanks, with routine maintenence would last us to 300K, etc. We've kept the maintenence up-to-date (through the dealership, no less) and something seems to always break. We've sunk at least $10K into the car in almost 4 years in problems. I just put another thousand into it, and I told DH we're DONE. I figure the next thing to go is the transmission, and after all the money we've put into it, the last thing I want to do is sink $3000 or more into it all over again.

So while I was in love with the idea of a Subaru, I DO NOT love my Subaru. I think we'll go for a Toyota or Honda next. DH's Honda is older than mine and has more mileage and we haven't spent nearly as much on parts/repairs with his car.

Mommy2Marcus

OMG! That is freakin amazing! Makes me love my Subaru that much more! I drive a small 1997 2 door Subaru Impreza! That thing gets the BEST gas milage EVER! Thanks for sharing this!

twokidstwodogs

This is my second Subaru. I had a 99 Forester which I loved as well.

My Legacy wagon has a turbo engine with 247 horsepower, making it a very fast car (soccer mom race car, it's called!). That cuts down the MPG even further. Still, I can do a fair bit better than the new EPA mileage estimates *if* I drive in a leisurely way and try not to engage the turbo unless I really need it. I nearly always do mixed highway/city driving, and can usually average around 21 MPG. For straight highway driving, I can get at least 25 MPG, and occasionally, I've averaged over 30 MPG for a few miles. That would be impossible to sustain for long, though.

I like to drive smaller cars, but since I sometimes transport dogs as well as my kids, I had to have something with a decent-sized cargo area. The Legacy wagon was one of the few cars that met my criteria for space, safety, and the "fun" factor. But the tradeoff was gas mileage. Like I said, I try to make up for it by driving more judiciously and conserving energy elsewhere in my life.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC