evenflo generations booster seat

U

Unregistered

Hi we were in a car crash two weeks ago with my 4 year old son in the car. He is fine thank goodness. At the time he was in an evenflo comet seat. Which held up great. We are now looking for a seat to replace that seat, and were unable to find the same seat. We purchased the evenflo generations seat. I like the way evenflo lets you tighten the straps with knobs I find it hard to use the pull strap on other seats. My son is tall about 41 inches but not heavy 36lbs. I'd like to keep him in a seat that I can 5 point restrain him as long as possible. Is the the generations seat a good one for this?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

I can't answer the question, but I will say that my 3 1/2 year old is in a generations seat (he's 38 pounds, and the seat harnesses to 47) and I LOVE it !

But the strap heights are really low compared to those on my daughter's Marathon, so we'll have to swap the kids if he gets too tall for his seat.

U

Unregistered

Kashi is in Canada, where is does go to 47 lbs. Canada requires top tethering and their testing procedures are different.

In the US, the max for the harness is 40 lbs.

my3girls

Unregistered - thanks for clearing that up, I thought that was probably the case... are you the OP? and in Canada, if so, then this sounds like it could work!

U

Unregistered

envenflo generations car seat

Hello it's the generations question lady. I'm in the US. I didn't know that you shouldn't use the 5 point restraint past 40 lbs. I figured it looked more secure then the just the seat belt. Can I use both the seat belt and the restraint. Or is there a seat out there that is set up for higher weights using the 5 point restraint? Sorry to sound so worried, it was a really car accident. I just want to be safe.

U

Unregistered - kelly

I'm the second "Unregistered" ;). Yes, I would be leary of a Generations for a 36 lb child. You just don't know how long you'll get.

You cannot use both the harness and the seatbelt.

There are no Evenflos that harness past 40.

The Cosco Apex harnesses until 65, then becomes a booster. Its fairly new, but seems to be well-liked. Its a good price at $130 from Toys r Us, or some walmarts. It really the only combo to harness past 40 right now, so it has no competition.

A HUGE drawback is that you need a headrest in your car that supports the Apex's headrest. If you have short seatbacks it will not work. The mid-point of the child's head needs to be at or below the VEHICLE seatback/headrest. It will not work for us in DH's F-350.

Another option would be a Britax Regent. Its large, but comparable to the Apex in size actually. It harnesses to 80 and has super tall harness slots. People who have them LOVE them. Especially after being in an accident, you're probably game for all the security you can get!

There are three Britax convertibles that harness to 65, but for a 4 year old they'd probably only last another year or two. If you have a younger child to pass them down to, it might be nice. My DD is in one at 3.5, but I'd be leary to buy her another because she just moved to the top slots so I don't know that she'll be in it for another 2+ years, so there are longer lasting options.

HTH!
kelly

my3girls

That link I posted before should help you get an idea. If you want to harness past 40#, it's safer for your child to be in a 5 pt as long as possible, you need to look on that page for "Niche seats". A few of them are expensive (but cheaper than a new child), some are hard to find, and some may not fit your vehicle. Could you tell us your child's torso height, sit them next to the wall then measure from the floor to where the shoulder harness would go, and the make/model of the vehicle you need a seat for and if it has a top tether anchor (these can be necessary when harnessing a larger child) I chose to buy a high weight harness and LOVE knowing my kiddo is as safe as she can be! Everyone on this board helped me and I know they can help you too!

U

Unregistered

My friend has the generations - I thought I liked it until I saw the husky/regent from Britax. If you want to keep your child harnessed as long as possible this is the seat. It is so solid and comfortable it makes the evenflo look like a toy. The generations will allow more height then some of the other seats, but the husky/regent has a slot even higher, plus it goes to 80#. The safeguard is another option, but it is more expensive and still very new to the market. I have the husky for my 3 year old 40" 35# and we both love it. I am glad you all alright after your scary accident - they really have a way of shaking you up huh!

U

Unregistered

Hi it's the generations lady again. I have learned so much from all of you! Thanks! I'm trying to find a Britax Rengent, but it looks like they are only on line. I'm note sure they will fit in my car. We have 2 Subaru Foresters a 2002 and a 2006. I went on the car data web site and looked at the width of the seat. and it said 21.5, does that mean the part the carseat sits on need to be that long or is the width the space the seat will take up across the seat?
HELP!!!!!
CHRIS

shashoo

I don't know if the seats are shaped the same, but I have a 2005 Subaru Outback and the Husky installs great with either the seatbelt or LATCH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC