Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carolina31

Are travel vests safe?

I am very interested in getting my 2 yr old into a travel vest for long trips instead of the bulky car seat she has now. Do you have any information on the safety of the Cosco Portable Car Seat (Travel Vest). I know that it is approved, but would like to know how it stands up to a regular car seat.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Karen

Travel Vest

I would recommend keeping your 2 year old in a car seat rather then using the travel vest for several reasons.

The hard plastic shell of a car seat provide additional protection in the event of a crash, in particular a side impact crash.

A car seat boosts your child up and allows that child to see out the windows. It is a pretty boring ride when all you have to look at is the back of the front seat!!

A car seat provide support for a sleeping child where a travel vest sits very upright and does not provide any additionl support for a sleeping child.

In general your child will be much more comfortable and safer in a car seat with an internal harness until they reach 40 lbs and then in a booster seat with a lap shoulder belt from 40 to around 80lbs

Travel vests are great for people that have to ride in cabs and on public transportation on a regular basis and they are also good for Grandparents that don't have the room (or desire) to store a bulky car seat.

Karen
    CPS Tech

carsafety

Oops!

Thanks Karen-

Actually, the original author also posted in the Carseat forum at the same time and I had intended to delete this post but forgot:-) With your excellent reply, I'm happy to leave it for other lurkers!

Thanks again!