safety 1st uptown

evansmom

I'm looking for an inexpensive extra seat. I saw that Big Lots near me has the Uptown for $65. Is there anything negative about this seat? I was debating b/w this and the Scerena for an extra seat for travel/grandparents car. I saw the Scenera and it didn't seem very cushy or comfy, kinda just hard plastic..

So, I was leaning towards the Uptown..

Any reasons why you don't recommend it?

Thanks!

ADS

scatterbunny

I :love: the Uptown. :thumbsup: It only harnesses to 40 pounds (but you're comparing it to the Scenera, which also harnesses to 40 pounds). The top slots are 16ish inches, higher than the Scenera, so it will last longer heightwise (most kids get too tall for most seats by height before weight). It has more padding, and it has EPP foam (energy absorbing foam, the Scenera does not have that).

scatterbunny

If your child is at least age 4 (preferably 5-6), then a booster seat is an acceptable choice. If your child isn't at least 4-6 at that time, and isn't mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat, then another harnessed seat with taller top slots and a higher weight limit will be necessary.

You could avoid another harnessed seat purchase if you looked at a seat with a higher harnessed weight limit and taller top slots now. How old, tall and heavy is the child who will be using the new seat?

evansmom

well, my son is 6 1/2 months old. he is about to be out of his infant seat. it goes to 22 lbs. and he is almost 19 lbs.

we have a Marathon for my car and a True Fit for my husbands car..

this would just be for an extra seat to put in my moms car and use for traveling...

We've already spent like $350 on these other 2 convertible seats and was just hoping to have a cheap one for an extra seat. It won't be used very often.

I don't know what to do... :(

scatterbunny

Yeah, with a Marathon and True Fit already, I wouldn't stress about another high weight limit seat; I think a Scenera or Uptown would be perfect as a spare. :)

Lilsid

I just bought one at big lots to use while I was waiting for Britax to replace my seats. The Uptown is very nice and much nicer and larger than the Scenera. As an extra seat for us it has been great. I was surprised how cushy the fabric was. It is super padded and very plush. I would spend the extra $20 defiantly.

Mommy2Marcus

I would diffinatly pick the Uptown over the Scenera. It is SO much of a nicer seat. It is totally worth the extra $20 for it! Also you can see a picture of my son in it at 20 months in my sig picture!

amy919

We have an Uptown for my 2 1/2 year old. I love it. It's nice and padded and the cover is very nice and comfy. My daughter's conly complaint is the cover isn't "fun". She's spoiled by the MA cover choices :rolleyes:. She has plenty of room to grow in it and I fully expect her to get another year RF in it. I think it's a great seat for the money!

jka1217

I have both and Uptown and Scenera, and I think the Uptown is definitely worth the extra money over a Scenera. We're back to using it daily now, and my mom has one at her house for when we visit. I have always had to use at least one pool noodle to get a good RF installation, just so you know if you buy it. I've always had to use one for a Scenera RF installation too. FF installation is a breeze when you get to that point.

I have some pictures and measurements to compare it to the Scenera, as well as some installation pictures in a review I did here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC