Roundabout or Marathon?

U

Unregistered

Hi - My 6 1/2 mth old is outgrowing his infant seat so we are looking at convertibles. He is 18lbs and 26 inches right now. With the higher weight limit, MA will obviously last longer so seems like a logical choice. Is there a reason to go with the RA instead?

Thanks,

JR

ADS

ccjones

I have an 8-month-old (born 6 weeks early, so adjusted age is 7 months) who is 18 lbs, and 28" long. I ended getting an MA for him, because I figured for $50 extra dollars, you get 25 extra pounds usage out of the MA. The RA is a little smaller and cheaper, so maybe if you couldn't afford the MA, or you drive a compact car, then the RA would work better for you.

Colleen

Tara

I agree...for the few extra bucks, if you can afford it..best to go ahead with the MA for the extra use you'd get out of it. That's a considerable weight difference ya know?

I'd suggest the RA if in a small car.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Right, if the MA will not fit (small car + large/tall adults), then the RA is a good choice, but for the $ I'd choose a Scenera over the RA :rolleyes: It has a higher RF weight limit ... anyway, the MA would be my choice if it fits (because it has higher FF weight limits) & you can afford it -- or the Boulevard, actually, for it's added features :cool:

scatterbunny

Ditto everyone else; also, I know people who have a Marathon in teeny cars, like the Chevy Cavalier (2 door!). For bigger babies (non-newborns) who have good head control you don't need the convertible reclined a full 45 degrees. AND it can be braced against the front seat(s), too.

I'd go for a Marathon, no question about it, unless you play with it in the store and prefer the Roundabout's push-button adjuster. If that's the case, consider the Decathlon. It has the push-button adjuster, three different crotch strap positions and infant padding (probably not essential for your baby), the rest is the same as the Marathon. The Boulevard is like the Marathon but with side impact protective wings and infant padding.

Smiles365

Senior Community Member
I went thru this same question 2 years ago when ds was going to outgrow his infant seat. We chose to go with the RA because of our situation. I was traveling just about every other month between Anchorage, AK and Seattle, WA, just ds and I, so every pound I had to haul thru the airport counted. Also, I had to install the seat in many different vehicles depending on who picked us up at the airport/etc. My family is tall (I'm the shortest of 5 kids and I'm almost 6' tall) so we always need the front seats back fairly far, not leaving much room in the back seat for a rearfacing seat. I don't regret getting the RA at all, but if I hadn't been in the situation I was in I probably would have gone with the MA because of the higher weight limits/taller shell.
For the new baby on the way we are passing the RA down and got ds a Regent, even though he's only 2, he's already quite tall and skinny, so I know he will get the full 6 years of use out of it. I'm trying to convince dh to let me get a Decathlon for the baby, but he's not buying it right now. Maybe by tax time next year he will let me get it, it just depends on how fast the baby grows out of the infant seat. Since the baby isn't due until October, we have a while to plan, lol!
So, that's the reason we went with the RA instead of the MA. I agree, if you have the money, go with the MA if it will fit properly in your vehicles.

U

Unregistered

same situation

I'm in exactly the same situation with my 6 mo old but I have an almost 3 year old who is nearing the height limit of his RA. I am wishing I had bought the MA so that I can keep him in a 5 point longer without buying an interim seat prior to a booster. I do love the between the leg belt adjuster on the RA so if the MA doesn't have that I would go with one of their other seats that does. It gives peace of mind that EVERY time you put the child in the seat you know it is properly adjusted. Good luck.

scatterbunny

The Marathon definitely does have a front harness adjuster (the kind located between the child's legs), but it is a lever adjuster instead of a push-button adjuster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC