Why should I harness my child past the age of four?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just recently had a discussion with a parent regarding the benefits of extended harnessing. The parent was very receptive to the idea, but I realized, as I talked, that I didn't have all that much data to back up my recommendation that children above age four/40 pounds should be harnessed.

I realized that we need a thread regarding the benefits of extended harnessing so that parents/caregivers searching here will be able to pull up a thread and see DATA that supports extended harnessing (I think we also need one for extended rear-facing, but that can come later).

Crash test video of harnessed vs. boostered

Kyle David Miller's Youtube video

Belle's Gift

Toni's Legacy

Kyle David Miller Foundation information about extended harnessing

EH Album on CPSafety

Tiffany's CPS page

BookMama's page about EH

Bombedier's page about EH

Andrea's page on CBB about EH

Rebekah's page about EH

(I got all links from google. If your page is listed and you want me to remove it, please let me know.)

Please add information/data that you have.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
(I got all links from google. If your page is listed and you want me to remove it, please let me know.)

Wow, my blog page comes up at #5 on a Google search for "extended harnessing!" :love:

There is also my Celebrity Baby Blog article on extended harnessing, geared toward a general "mom" audience. http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2008/05/car-seats-for-o.html

Ego aside :rolleyes:, anyone is always welcome to link to any car seat page on my blog or any of my Celebrity Baby Blog articles. :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yup! Got it. It is second from the bottom on my list above. You are well-represented on Google! :p Of the ten or so pages that popped up, two are yours. WOW! :thumbsup:

Oops, I guess I was so excited about seeing the link to my blog that I didn't even keep reading your list. :rolleyes:

Off to update the list of HWH seats on that first page ...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oops, I guess I was so excited about seeing the link to my blog that I didn't even keep reading your list. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I sounded rude in my reply. That wasn't my intent at all. :)
4-flowers.gif

Thank you so much for having such OUTSTANDING resources (and for letting me link to them here)! :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Sorry if I sounded rude in my reply. That wasn't my intent at all. :)
4-flowers.gif

Thank you so much for having such OUTSTANDING resources (and for letting me link to them here)! :thumbsup:

I didn't think you sounded rude at all, don't worry. :) I just felt silly for stopping after I saw my own name in your list.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Quick reference regarding HWH seats currently available:

Convertible seats (both RF and FF)

Britax Boulevard- harnesses to 65 pounds
Britax Decathlon- harnesses to 65 pounds
Britax Marathon- harnesses to 65 pounds
Evenflo Triumph Advance- harnesses to 50 pounds
Evenflo Titan Elite- harnesses to 50 pounds
First Years/Compass/Learning Curve True Fit- harnesses to 65 pounds
Sunshine Kids Radian 65- harnesses to 65 pounds
Sunshine Kids Radian 80- harnesses to 80 pounds

There is also discussion that the Alpha Omega and its clones will soon have a higher-weight harness. As of today, that is not 100% confirmed or available.

The Fisher-Price Safe Voyage Deluxe might be found in some stores. It is also a HWH seat. It is currently not in production.

Combination Seats (both FF and booster)

Britax Frontier- harnesses to 80 pounds; booster to 100 pounds
Cosco/Safety 1st Apex- harnesses to 65 pounds; booster to 100 pounds
Graco Nautilus- harnesses to 65 pounds; booster to 100 pounds
Safeguard Go- harnesses to 60 pounds; booster to 100 pounds

Youth/Niche Seats (FF-only)

Britax Regent- harnesses to 80 pounds
Safeguard Child Seat- harnesses to 65 pounds

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC