Car seat using TWO seat belts

niccig

A group of us was carpooling to the beach. A lady my friend knows was bringing her grandson. The grandmother asked us to do the car seat as she doesn't know how. I went to get the car seat from her car and it was in the center position with the center seatbelt and then the passenger outboard seatbelt as well, both through the FF belt path. I thought that the grandparents probably don't know much about car seats, so I explained to her that you only need to use the center seatbelt, and she told me her daughter put it in the car. I know people don't read manuals, but come-on, there's pictures in there and not one picture has two seat belts. I told the grandmother to tell her daughter and if her daughter doesn't believe me, please go see a CPST. After the carpool, I showed the grandmother how to get the car seat in with only ONE seatbelt. Hopefully, grandmother leaves it that way now, as I'm afraid how it will be installed next time.

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I saw a car like that in the parking lot one day. Well, not sure if they were using the center and outboard but they had the outboard seatbelt stretched accross to the center. I'm actually amazed that the outboard seatbelt reaches that far!

I 100% agree with you. I can understand many types of misuse but that is beyond using your own common sense. That's a sign you didn't even glance at the manual.

leighi123

At our seat check last month, there was a AOE intalled in the centre, using the outboard seatbelt, the centre seat had a lap/shoulder belt that wasnt being used for anything :confused:

EVERYTHING about that seat was wrong, the head tech wanted pics for the CPST course! (on what NOT to do!)

niccig

I forgot to add that my install with ONE seat belt was tighter than the install with TWO seat belts.

christineka

Dh just told me the other night that he thought two seat belts would be safer than one. You'd get 4 points out of it. Why not? (Of course, because it hasn't been tested that way, but according to his physics, etc two seat belts would seem safer.) I can understand the logic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC