Question car seats in Japan?

U

Unregistered

Hello!

I have posted a few questions here before and you have all been so helpful.... we've just heard that we are moving to Japan with the US Navy... and quickly. We'll be there by August! (usually you have much more time to prepare!) We have 3 kids: DD1 5 1/2 yo, around 44 lbs, FFing in a Radian; DS, turning 4 in September, around 40 lbs, FFing in Radian; DD2, 2 1/2 yo, around 25ish lbs, RFing in a Roundabout, but will move into our Marathon soon, RFing until weight reaches 33 lb limit. They're currently 3-across in our 4runner, but we will not be taking our car to Japan.. are told to buy used there.

Does ANYONE have ANY info on carseats in Japan? Do they do LATCH, or is that US-only? Do they use carseats there?

What about international airplane travel? We've always brought all 3 carseats onboard and used them in-flight, but we've only ever flown within the US. can you use them in-flight flying internationally?

THANKS! This is one of the many zillion details we're trying to learn about as we scramble to get ready to go! I appreciate your help!
~Tiffany

ADS

katiesmommy

Before I get started, welcome to Japan.

Okay, Hoping I can answer your questions. First, do you know where in Japan you are going? I'm in Sasebo with my husband who is navy on the essex. I have some friends in Yokosuka that can help you get settled there as well, if you want the info I'll give you the board they are at.

First of all, be really happy you have radians, there is no lower anchor or top tether system here. At all. I know a lady who rigged her sons seat up, but yeah, I definitly wouldn't suggest that. There is a carseat law here, but it's just barely starting to be enforced, and not much. Don't be surprised to see kids walking around vehicles.

They don't let you bring your cars because the streets here are so narrow. With three kids, look at a van. There is just no way possible that you are going to get 3-across with a japanese car, regardless of what seats you have.

You can use the seats on the flight, though you will have to be firm with the stewards'. They talked me out of using mine on the flight from Narita to Fukouka because they said they didn't think they would fit on the seats. My husband caved, and I didn't think about it at the time that if my butt can fit on the seat, then her carseat would fit too. If there's anything you want to ask, pm me, or if you have more carseat questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope this helps.

U

Unregistered

I am moving to Shizuoka, Japan in December and taking a 9 month old with me (he is 3 months now). I too am concerned about car seats. I was looking to buy a Britax Roundabout or Marathon, but now that I've read this thread, I'm wondering if I should wait to buy a seat when I arrive?? What are your suggestions??

katiesmommy

I have not tried Japanese seats, they all look extremly short to me, which I suppose would make sense. I took some pictures one day, I'd have to get them off my other computer though. Anyway, What do you plan to travel with? Are you moving with military? It may be easier for you to travel with a bucket such as a safeseat and buy a marathon after you get here if you will have easy enough access to be able to do that. Otherwise, definitly buy the marathon before you leave. I don't know how hard it is to get them shipped here without an APO address. I do know that if you can find a place that does international shipping, Japan accepts both American and European standard seats, so you won't have a problem on that front. And there are several places that will ship to APO's. It would just be a matter of finding somewhere that would ship international. HTH, if you have other questions feeel free to pm me. I don't generally check this forum regularly. I really need to try to remember to check it more often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC