Anyone willing to do an edit for me?

ladybug_mom

The website I work for has very outdated car seat information, I've actually had to pull a few articles down!

I'm not a tech (hope to finally do my course this summer) but I have many years of carseating my own four ages almost 12 down to 1.5.

So I was hoping that you fabulous techs here could go over this, and help me to see if I've left anything out or change anything that may not be worded correctly?

I'm hoping to get this up for my deadline of Monday (I know short notice, but I really want to get some car seat info up, we're seriously lacking info, thank goodness for Tam though!)

Here's what I have thus far, it's very rough, so I won't take any offense, looking for experienced critique!

Thanks,

Cara

Choosing the right Car seat

Stage One: Rear Facing Infant Car Seats

The safest position for babies in a car is in the backseat in a rear facing car seat. It is recommended and even law in some provinces that your baby needs to stay rear facing until they are at least 1 year old and weigh 10kg (22lbs). The majority of infant seats on the market have a weight limit of 10kg, but there are a few manufacturers that carry infant seats with a weight limit of 30lbs. Make sure you check with your car seat manual to be certain what the weight limit of your seat is. Weight limits must be strictly followed.

Stage Two: Rear Facing/Forward Facing Convertible Seats

If your child outgrows their infant seat before their first birthday, you should switch to a convertible seat. Look for a seat that has a rear facing limit to at least 14kg (30lbs although some newer seats on the market have a 35lb limit) Convertible seats are great for parents that wish to keep their babies rear facing past 1 year of age, a growing trend that is becoming more popular. In parts of Scandinavia children are kept rear facing up to four years of age as it’s proven to be the safest for younger children.

Once your baby has reached the rear facing weight limit of their convertible seat, it can be turned forward facing in your vehicle. All forward facing car seats must be anchored to the vehicle using the top tether strap on your car seat. If you can not find the tether anchor on your car check your vehicles owner manual. If it is an older model car it may not be equipped with an anchor. Ask your dealership about having an anchor properly installed, most dealerships will do this free of charge or charge a nominal fee.

Combination Seats- 3 –in- 1 Seats or Forward Facing then High Back Booster

Three-in-One Car seats are marketed as the only seat a child will need from 5lbs to 80lbs. These seats can rear face to 30lbs then forward face for children over one year of age and 10kg (22lbs), then convert to a seat belt positioned booster seat at 18kg (40lbs). Many parents were finding two challenges with these seats. Some were finding that they’re child had outgrown they harness straps before they reached 40lbs, or their child reached 40lbs before they were mature enough to sit in a booster seat (Transport Canada recommends age four and a half). Another challenge is that the majority of car seats on the market today expire after 6 years, according to this chart from Transport Canada- http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/TP14563C/2007c10/menu.htm. Many parents were still needing to purchase another seat due to the above challenges.

This provided an opportunity for manufacturers to develop newer seats that are accommodating children longer with both higher harness slots as well as higher weight limits (47-65lbs on some seats).

It’s Booster Time (ages 4-9 and over 40lbs up to 145cm- 4’9”)

Once your child has reached 40lbs or the harness height/weight limit of their forward facing seat and are at least 4 years of age it’s time to look at booster seats. Adult seat belts are just that, designed for an adult. A booster seat lifts children up so that the seat belt fits safely over their body. Some parents also say their children are happier as it lifts them up so that they can see out the window.

Booster seats can only be used if your car has lap-shoulder belts. They can not be used with lap only belts. There are two types of booster seats.
High Back: These seats support your child’s head in low back seats. Some also have integrated Side Impact Protection for added safety.
Backless: These have just a seat, they are safe in cars with high back seats and headrests.

Children should use a booster seat until the middle of their ears is above the top of the car’s seat or the back of the high back booster seat.

When is my child ready for just the seat belt?

Generally when a child reached 145cm (4’9”) they are tall enough to use your vehicles seat belt, however since childrens proportions differ so much, they may need to still be in a booster past this height. Here is a 5 Step Test to see if your child is ready for the seat belt only, if you can answer yes to all of these questions then your child is ready to move to the seat belt only.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Other Car Seat Facts

Always read your car seats manual. Not only will it help you to install your seat correctly, it will also give you height and weight guidelines that must be followed.

Always purchase a seat in Canada that has the CMVSS sticker attached. Seats sold in the US may look the same as Canadian models, but have not been tested to Canadian Safety Standards. You can read more about this on Transport Canada’s Website. http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/TP14563C/2007c09/menu.htm

80-90% of all car seats in Canada are installed improperly, to make sure you don’t fall into this category, have your seat checked by a Child Restraint Safety Technician. Check with your local health unit for volunteers in your area, or attend a local clinic.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's quite good! :thumbsup:

I might emphasize the RF beyond 1/22 a bit more. Maybe mention the AAPs recommendation (I know this is for Canada, but that still holds weight here.) I know the Canadian Paediatricians statement was more wishy-washy on the matter.

I might also include more information on extended harnessing (beyond 40lbs.)

The only other thing I might suggest is changing the tense in the section about 3-in-1 seats to the present:

Many parents have problems with these seats. Some find that their child outgrows the harness before they reach 40lbs, or their child reaches 40lbs before they are mature enough to sit in a booster seat (Transport Canada recommends age four and a half.) Many of these seats, when used in booster mode, don't place the adult belt appropriately on the child. Another issue is the expiry date. The majority of car seats on the market today expire after 6 years... Many parents will end up needing another seat after the 3-in-1 because it has expired, but their child is not ready for an adult belt.

Anyway, just a few suggestions. I hope that helps! :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would have "step 1" be "Step 1: Rear-facing car seat--Infant or convertible" or some such wording. :) In this step talk about "if your child reaches the limit of the infant only seat before one year, switch to a rear facing convertible until the limits are reached..." etc.

chay

This doesn't exactly fit with your article but -
Looking back on what I wish I knew when I was car seat shopping the first time - I REALLY wish someone had told me to look at the THS when comparing seats and that it isn't just a problem for the really tall kids (like 95%+). I didn't think I needed one of the higher weight seats because he was such a light weight. Even if I had known about the THS I probably would have shrugged it off thinking we'd be fine because he was only slightly above average in height.

I have a string bean who will probably never outgrow a seat by weight and there wasn't a difference between say an AOE and MA if you are only looking at weights so I didn't think it was worth the extra money :( I eventually ended up with a MA but I could have saved some money by buying it the first time instead of wasting money on another seat first.

Just my :twocents:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
chay makes excellent points! I didn't know to look at harness height either and ended up with a very poor choice in a convertible (Titan.) If your article pointed out to parents that harness height is an important criteria for a seat, it would be great!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC