Need Help w/ Recaro Signo RF

Persnickety

We wanted to purchase the Signo for our DD back in Nov 07, but the delay in shipping units required us to buy an infant seat first (Maxi Cosi). This seat has been great, but at 7 months, 16 pounds, she is outgrowing it in the sense that it is now uncomfortable for her. So we went ahead and ordered the Recaro Signo like we had originally planned. It arrived with a manufacturing date pre-recall, but the kit was already installed on it.

Now for the problem...she seems too small for it. It's a convertible so it's supposed to be able to handle small infants, but the headrest/straps at the lowest setting come to just at her shoulders, which is good, but how would this have worked on an infant smaller than her?! The buckle comes up so high on her that it pokes into her chest rather than being low in her crotch. She is petite with chunky thighs so when we tighten the straps, they are tight along her thighs but roomy on her chest. We tried to adjust it tighter, but the tether seems to have reached it's maximum tightness. Again, how is it that a newborn would have fit in this thing?

I plan to take it to an authorized fire station tomorrow (left the Cosi in for now), but are we missing something obvious? We still feel like car seat noobs over here. Any help would be appreciated.

ADS

Miska

Hello. I have no advice, but I'm looking into buying a Recaro Signo for my 9 month old. If you don't mind me asking, how tall is your DD? My DD is small too and is only 27 inches tall and 18 lbs. I'm just thinking, if your little one is small for the Recaro, I wonder if my DD will be small for it also..

:eek:

Persnickety

My DD is 25.25" tall, but I'm not sure that it is her size that is the problem. I think there might be a problem with our particular Signo. Like, maybe they put it back together incorrectly at the store when they added the recall kit?

I'd rather not have to exchange it. But I need to know if it's just mine or all of the Signos are like this. If someone could post a pic of an infant in their Signo, that would be fantastic!

Something else that might help is that the bottom of the head wings at their lowest point are 3" from the top of the sides on the seat padding. In the manual, an infant is seated in the car seat and there is maybe 1" of space or less between these two pieces of padding. This is also what makes us suspect that something is wrong with the seat.

S

spookie

Hi, I have this car seat but don't have a baby yet :)
My UNDERSTANDING (I don't know if this is correct), is that some infants (newborns and smaller infants) will need an "infant insert" to fit in the Signo. So, I called Recaro and exchanged voicemails with a pleasant customer service rep who said she will mail me an infant insert. I have to stress that I did not talk to this woman so that I could ask exactly what the infant insert is/does, but I have a month or two to figure out the details before actually trying it out on our newborn.

Gail, Recaro customer service
800-873-2276, x. 234

Hope this helps, keep in mind that I don't actually know anything! First baby, first car seat :)

Persnickety

Hi, I have this car seat but don't have a baby yet :)
My UNDERSTANDING (I don't know if this is correct), is that some infants (newborns and smaller infants) will need an "infant insert" to fit in the Signo. So, I called Recaro and exchanged voicemails with a pleasant customer service rep who said she will mail me an infant insert. I have to stress that I did not talk to this woman so that I could ask exactly what the infant insert is/does, but I have a month or two to figure out the details before actually trying it out on our newborn.

Gail, Recaro customer service
800-873-2276, x. 234

Hope this helps, keep in mind that I don't actually know anything! First baby, first car seat :)

That is really interesting! I will call her and find out more and report back. :) Thanks so much for the phone number and good luck with the baby! Here's a random tip from a new mom: Weleda Calendula Diaper Cream is a must have.

JerseyGirl'sMama

OP- I have a Signo for my DD. We began using it for her when she was 8 months old and almost 18 lbs, and 29". The crotch buckle is long. It still sits up higher than crotch level on my DD who is now 17 months old. It is something we just live with since I like the seat in so many other ways.

Many convertible seats say they fit 5lb babies and up, but every baby fits the seat differently and some may not be a great fit that particular child. I hope the newborn insert works well. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to come back and ask. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC