Question I need to use all 8 seats in my Ody. Yikes!

orangemnms

My best friend is flying in from out of state with her daughter, and I'd like to take her and two other friends to SF for the day. This means, that including myself and my 3 kids, we will need every.single.seat. :eek: in my 2005 Ody. The passengers will be:

A) Me (driver)
B) Friend A (adult)
C) Friend E (adult)
D) Friend L (small adult)
E) 7 yo ds, 48.5 lbs, usually sits in a Regent
F) 6 yo friends DD, 58 ish lbs, Usually in a Regent
G) 5 yo DD, 41 lbs, usually in a Wizard
H) 3.5 yo DD, 31.5 lbs, usually RF in a Wizard

(I think) I am ok with putting the 7 yo in a booster for this trip. My friend is ok with it for her 6 yo daughter as well. I need to be able to access the 3rd row to buckle whoever is back there so I need at least one adult in the 2nd row (or else the seat wont fold forward.)

So I am thinking for the 3rd row (tether only in the middle:)

7 yo/3.5 yo/6 yo
PW/FF Scenera/Compass B150 OR

3.5 yo/7 yo/6 yo
FF Scenera/FF Wizard/ PW

(7 yo still fits in the Wiz with about 1.5 inches of torso growth. He's tiny, LOL.)

2nd row:
adult/adult/FF Wizard (5 yo)

Sound okay? I am going to assume (IF I can make it fit) that an untethered Scenera for the 3.5 yo is still safer than a PW for the 7 yo, am I correct?

ADS

lovinwaves

The 8th seat (in the middle second row) is not for an adult unless they are short enough that the head rest is properly positioned behind their head. I am 5'9" and the headrest in that seat hits me midback.

I would try the smaller adult in that seat, or a child that is in a booster.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Hmmmm. 8 in an Odyssey is so not easy!!! I've done 7 and that wasn't easy either!!! I will say that I have a very hard time fitting 3 accross in the 3rd row. But, at the time all kids were in harnessed seats. I would actually probably put an adult in the back and an adult in the 2nd row. For us, it worked best to have 2 seats outboard in the 3rd row with the adult in the center. 2 seats outboard in the 2nd row and an adult in the center. I sat in the center seat with the headrest and it hit me fine. I'm 5 ft 6inches tall.

You will have a MUCH easier time with boosters than harnessed seats simply b/c they are more narrow.

I think I might try the Wizard and scenera for the 5 and 3 year old in the 2nd row outboard tethered with an adult in the center. 7 and 6 year olds in boosters in the 3rd row with an adult. Or if you can fit a harnessed seat/adult/booster and feel more comfy with 7 year old in a harness, do that. I'm perfectly ok with a 6 and 7 year old in a booster, assuming they can sit correctly.

Chex

I did this once. Same situation, all FF kids. I did it:

3rd row:
adult/ff evenflo/ff graco

2nd row:
adult/booster/ff evenflo

It was squishy, but it worked. Each of us moms sat w/each of the kids. And then we only had to move my seat (I was the adult in the 2nd row) for the other mom to get her kids and herself in. We had to kind of push the booster out of the way a bit so that the chair could flip forward, but that's why we put it there....it's mobile! Also, this way it made it easier for the moms to take care of their own kids w/o having to reach back over the seat.

I also wanted to add that I'm tall, but I've ridden comfortably in the 8th seat. It hits the back of my head just fine. (I have freakishly long legs). It's not somewhere I'd want to sit full-time, but it did the job for one trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC