Finding out information about used cars

moobiegirl

We are in the market for a "new to us" car. Is there any way for us to find out the history of the car? I'd like to now if any of the cars were interested in have had any major problems. thanks

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you know the VIN (the vehicle identification number, which is unique for each individual vehicle) for the specific new-to-you car you're considering, then you could pay to do a CarFax vehicle history search at CarFax.com to see if there's a record of crashes, how many previous owners, whether it was a rental car or fleet vehicle, etc. If the cars of interest are for sale at a used car dealership, some dealerships will provide free access to a CarFax history report for the vehicle, but not every used car dealership will do this for you. From a general car safety standpoint, you can also check crash test scores for the models you're considering at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website at www.iihs.org and the government's NHTSA crash test scores at www.safercar.gov You can also compare different vehicle models by looking at their safety scores based in part on the IIHS and NHTSA crash test results at www.informedforlife.org

Happy car shopping. :)

Melanie

Jeanum gave you some good sites. Edmonds.com is great too. It has info on specific models. It will also give you prices (what you should actually be paying), your vehicle value, etc. Look at their section on car buying tips and Confessions of a Car Salesman. It taught me a lot.

Last edited:
My experience with the vehicle history reports is that they are all a scam! If you dont believe me pick one of your own vehicles thats been in a fender bender or two or has had some issues and look up the VIN in one of the popular vehicle history websites; you will find nothing!

Any reputable seller of a used vehicle including used dealers should allow serious buyers to take the vehicle to a mechanic of their choice for a thorough looksee. This is a really good idea and can save you thousands. If the seller is not willing that is a clear sign to move onto another vehcile.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That's the opposite of my own experience with vehicle history reports for vehicles DH and I personally owned and had the misfortune of being in crashes while driving them. DH and I were in 5 crashes collectively over a 5 year span, talk about inspiration for safe carseat usage and interest in vehicle safety. :eek: Our crashes did indeed show up in our vehicle history reports when we checked out of curiosity. It may not necessarily be true for every used vehicle, but that was our experience. :twocents: I do completely agree with taking the car for an inspection by an independent mechanic with no connection to the seller. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC