some words of wisdom please

spirit19

So I am putting 3 across in the back of a mazda tribute. My original plan kept my 6yo in his 5pt harness (SafeGuard Go) but a growth spurt has put his ears even with the back of the seat.....No head rest. According to SafeGuard it is not safe.

So the new plan. The 6yo moving to the park way out board, 3yo middle in the safe guard and baby in the marathon out board.

The trouble with putting my 55lb 50" 6yo in a booster is I just can't get past the Utube video...Is there anything that you can add to a seat buckle that would prevent it from coming unbuckled in a crash?

ADS

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
I think we all worry about our seat belts coming unbuckled in a crash...I think the key is to make sure he has the proper fit of the belt across him in his booster, and to make sure that the buckle is not under his seat since you have three across in the vehicle...(that his seat is not bending the buckle stalk at some weird angle)..it should come up in the direction it's meant to go..
Positioned properly, booster seats perform well for the kids who use them...sometimes as the driver I wish I had a harness and a helmet during rush hour for myself:D You sound like a wonderful safety minded mom...

mominabigtruck

While I think the youtube video was great for getting the word out about extended harnessing, I don't think it was exactly factual. Seatbelt failure in real life is extremely uncommon. If you are using the seatbelt correctly and make it sure its latched every single time the chances of it failing in a crash are relatively small.

I would be completely fine with putting a child of that age and size in a booster. Your son is about the same size as mine and he fits perfectly fine in a booster, unfortunately he's not been blessed with any self control at all so he's better being harnessed. The only thing I would change is possibly putting the pw in the middle and that's only if it has a lap shoulder belt and is easily accessible to buckle in.:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC