Okay...4 seats...2 vehicles...what goes where?

MsFacetious

I am deciding for sure here...and I want opinions.

We are working with.....

2 Graco Nautilus'

2 Pre Advisory Britax Regents

1 1988 325 BMW (which will soon have tether anchors)

1 2005 Dodge Quad Cab

43lbs, 40 inches, 5 year old

40lbs, 39 inches, 4 year old

Dodge truck:

I am going to drive this during the winter and occasionally the rest of the year. Right now the 2 Regents are in the Dodge short belt path because they were a better install than the long belt path. I can not put them in SBP, I have it done by our CS.org techs in Idaho! So, once they are moved...they are not going back in. I'm not worried about getting the GN's in there.... hopefully Lisa has taught me well. If I had to I could use LATCH too until I get back to Idaho this winter. There is room for another passenger or car seat in between the Regents.

The BMW:

The GN's are not working out in the BMW. If I kept fighting with it I might be able to get it but it's not looking promising. The seat belts only lock if you pull on them quickly... so keeping them tight isn't happening. I've twisted the female end and also twisted the male end one half turn. Even if I could get the GN's side by side there still isn't room for another passenger in the backseat, which was the big reason to put those in that car instead of the Regents.

IF I keep fighting to put them in my Dad wants my Uncle the welder to put LATCH in it, which I am NOT comfortable with. We would also end up replacing the seatbelts to have all lapbelts (from one of our parts cars)...which I'm also not real comfortable with.

I know I can get the Regents in the BMW because I've done it before. Long belt path of course, but they are pre advisory so I feel okay with that. Recline bar and they will soon be tethered. (The BMW isn't quite running yet anyway so I will be driving the truck for another month I would guess.)

I'm not going to Idaho again until December or so.... so yes I could take the Regents up then and have them put back in then, but in the meantime I'm on my own. lol We will always drive the truck to Idaho, so I will never have our techs help with the BMW.... :rolleyes:

Is there ANY reason why I shouldn't put the GN's in the truck and the Regents in the BMW? I want to know if there is something I am missing. I am TERRIFIED to move those Regents and then realize I need to put them back in and can't do it! I know it's not the end of the world to have an "acceptable" install instead of "perfect" but I'd like to avoid it anyway.

Thanks in advance! :whistle:

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Can you try using a locking clip with the GNs in the BMW?

Do you have someone who can help you install the seats? From what I have read in the past, it's an issue of strength, I believe.

I see no reason not to switch the seats, though.

MsFacetious

Any volunteers??? lol

All I have that I know of is Lisa and Debbie, we go up there twice a year. But, like I said we will never take the BMW up there. I think in THIS case it is just an issue of the seatbelt slipping. I'm getting it rock solid, it just comes loose.

I hate locking clips... like really really hate them. I may end up using them in the truck anyway with the GN's though. I am willing to try it if the GN's in the BMW would have some safety advantage to the GN's in the truck. Or if I don't have any other choice. lol

Some people preferred the Regent in the BMW because it is bigger and might offer more protection. I think it's not going to matter either way, I think they are about the same. I think I'd prefer the GN's day to day... but I'd also prefer the GN on long trips. So, really either way it's going to have it's pros and cons....

Auntie2Avi

No idea on what goes where but would you be able to get your brother/dad help you with the seats? Like take one Regent out of the truck and have them help you/install the seat until it is in as well as the other one. That way you know that if you want to move the seats around you could. I am sure you already thought of that, but just an idea.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The BMW is going to have to have locking clips, either way. Dang, if you would have moved to Oregon, I would move your seats every week! So, there isn't a tech closer to help you?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
In the BMW - I'm confused about what kind of seat belts you have. They definitely don't lock, then? Or do they have locking latchplates? If you're not sure how to tell the difference, I can walk you through that. If they don't lock, you HAVE to use a locking clip no matter how much you hate it. I know, sorry. :(

Can you take a pic of the back seat of the BMW for me?

I vote you leave the Regents where they're at for now. I'm not convinced the GNs are incompatible in the BMW yet. :D

MsFacetious

I also just thought of something else.... I am big on me being able to install the seat when needed and quickly. Like when my transmission went out on the freeway and I had to put the Regents into the Truck quickly. I am more confident that I could install the Nautilus' in the truck and the Regents in the BMW... I know that makes no sense. But for some reason I'm just more comfortable in my own abilities.

I also just managed to come up with the weak excuse that it's better to have the Graco in the vehicle I drive the least....because Graco requires replacement after any accident.... lol

You think I don't already have a picture? I swear you people just keep underestimating me... lol

Let me know if you need anything else.

Now, first here are pictures from 2 of the BMW's. The black seats are what I'm working with at this moment. The other one is a 5 series. The black seats in my old 3 are an identical backseat to the car that I'm going to be driving (which is still on jackstands and I'm not that brave. It's a 1986 3 series.)

http://britaxcarseats.blogspot.com/

Here is the "install"...

1011505he9.jpg

Up close of the buckle and stuff....

1011508fi4.jpg

Seatbelt....space left if I were to put two GN's side by side...

1011518hl6.jpg

I thought I had a close up of the male end of the seatbelt but I don't. I can get that too if you'd like.

I know that the GN probably isn't impossible to get in the BMW.... I just don't know if I have the patience to do it. lol Patience is running thing lately.... I don't love installing seats like I used to. :( I'm tempted to take the easy way out...which isn't like me.

But really Debbie....is there a SAFETY advantage to having the GN's in the BMW instead of the Regent's? Which seat would you prefer in the "least safe" car?

Last edited:

Defrost

Okay, I get it now - I'm clearly a very visual person. With the Regents, you don't have to use locking clips because the seat belt is all the way out for the LBP, correct?

That does make it easier - I say Regents in the BMW, hands down. I'm honestly not that "interested" in the whole "but the Regents are safer so they should go in the least safe car" argument. I think it's completely debatable as to whether or not the Regents are inherently safer. :twocents:

BUT - installation should be as simple as possible, which means avoiding locking clips whenever possible. If the only way to avoid the locking clips is to put the Regents in the BMW, put them in the BMW.

So, in answer to your question, the seat I would prefer in the "least safe" car is the seat that you can install on your own and get a good install.

MsFacetious

:bow:

Thank you Debbie. I know I'm not making a lot of sense...because if I ever need to move the seats out of the BMW because of an accident or break down, it won't matter how easy they are to put in it. But yeah, it'd be nice if the install was as simple as possible. If I change my mind....then I will bring the Regents in the bed of the truck up to Idaho so you guys can install them again for me. Or.... maybe I can do it myself if I need to. :eek:

It'll have to wait till it's cooler out there..... or at least until it gets dark. But I will work on it soon. The kids will be thrilled they get to ride in the GN's in Papa's truck until the car is ready to go.

MsFacetious

Teri.... my Dad walked by while I was looking at that and now he's watching it on Ebay.

If that thing ends up in our driveway too, it is SO your fault! lol I keep telling the man to part out the ones he already has first... but if he finds a deal he can not help but jump on it. *sigh* :rolleyes:

That is pretty close to the car we are talking about. The back seat looks the same but mine has vinyl seats. I do have the option of putting actual leather in too (one of the other cars has a leather back seat.)

1986 BMW 3-series from Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...ddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330243882583&

What they said - it's going to need locking clips for the Nautis.

That said, it might be better to use the Regents in it so you don't have to fiddle with LC's. The truck should have locking seatbelts of some sort, which will make installing mich simpler.

TerisBoys

Teri.... my Dad walked by while I was looking at that and now he's watching it on Ebay.

If that thing ends up in our driveway too, it is SO your fault! lol I keep telling the man to part out the ones he already has first... but if he finds a deal he can not help but jump on it. *sigh* :rolleyes:

That is pretty close to the car we are talking about. The back seat looks the same but mine has vinyl seats. I do have the option of putting actual leather in too (one of the other cars has a leather back seat.)

:whistle: There are a couple others if you/he search 1986 BMW 3-series.

You're welcome :)

I'm impressed that a car of that vintage has shoulderbelts in back to be honest!

MsFacetious

What impressed ME was the note in the manual that said that the seatbelts were only for 6 years and up... anyone under 6 years should be in a child restraint...in 1986! Geesh, I can't get people to think that way in 2008!

BW1426

Just out of curiosity, have you had the seatbelts replaced. I'd feel really leary about using 20 year old seat belts.

Also, I'd make my parental decision to put the "safer car seat" in the car that was the least safe. All carseats are equally safe, yada yada, I know. If it were me, I'd put the Britax in the older BMW.

Defrost

:bow:

Thank you Debbie. I know I'm not making a lot of sense...

Oh, silly - that's why we come here! To obsess about our carseats and where to put them and who to put where and yada yada yada.... with people who understand! :D

If it'll make you feel better I can fret about the Recaro Start and why I really really really don't actually need one. ;)

MsFacetious

I'm working on it. My Dad's solution is to put LATCH in there instead... since it's cheaper. (His friend will do it for free.) And IF we replace the seatbelts my Dad wants to go to the junkyard to get them. Nevermind that the junkyard is usually where CRASHED vehicle go.... my Dad doesn't get it. Frankly I'm VERY lucky that he helped me get car seats at all.

I'd rather use older seatbelts that came with the car than add LATCH against everyones advice and my own opinion.... I fully believe that the LATCH they would put in might even be stronger than what comes in cars.... but I don't want to be responsible for deciding that it's okay to do so. I also don't want to use junkyard seatbelts. At least I know THESE belts have not been in an accident even if they are old. The cars are also garaged, so they are not sunbleached and stuff like other belts often are.

But I'm working on it. I have to remember that I will hopefully not be driving this longer than a year. Ex plans to get me into a safer vehicle as soon as he gets back. He's not happy I have to drive this. Hopefully I can talk them into replacing the seatbelts.

However, I wouldn't be holding my breath.... :( http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE30/POR_BE30_INTsts_pg1.htm#item0

Just out of curiosity, have you had the seatbelts replaced. I'd feel really leary about using 20 year old seat belts.

Also, I'd make my parental decision to put the "safer car seat" in the car that was the least safe. All carseats are equally safe, yada yada, I know. If it were me, I'd put the Britax in the older BMW.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I fully believe that the LATCH they would put in might even be stronger than what comes in cars.... but I don't want to be responsible for deciding that it's okay to do so.

Unless you have access to the static pull test fixture used to test LATCH limits, there is absolutely no way that I would use retrofitted so-called lower "LATCH" anchors. (My understanding is that even vehicles that used to offer an actual LATCH retrofit kit - I think VW was the only manufacturer that did - no longer offer it.)

BW1426

I wouldn't think it would be terribly pricey to replace just the two rear outboard seatbelts. And, definately trust your gut on the retrofitted LATCH, eek.

On the same token, I want to play devil's advocate a bit. Using a 20 year old seatbelt for just a year would be like using an expired seat for just a year, imo. Fine if you don't get in a crash, but who knows what would happen if you did. Especially with how much stress is put on the belts when you install the carseats, I'd be especially concerned about replacing the two belts the girls will use.

ETA: I looked it up. Lap belt only seat belts are less than $28 a piece to order and then whatever it costs to have them installed. http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/bmw325i19872006replacementus-sbelt-21.html

MsFacetious

Andrea that was my whole point. There is no way to know for sure. If I keep pushing my Dad about replacing the seatbelts he will just remove the seatbelts, retrofit latch and then I will have no choice but to use retrofit latch. He went as far as looking up the LATCH specifications, talking to my uncle and describing how they would make it even stronger by putting more steel...blah blah blah.

Unless you have access to the static pull test fixture used to test LATCH limits, there is absolutely no way that I would use retrofitted so-called lower "LATCH" anchors. (My understanding is that even vehicles that used to offer an actual LATCH retrofit kit - I think VW was the only manufacturer that did - no longer offer it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC