spin off. should 3rd row be slid forward or back?

Melanie

This thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=48793 got me thinking. Would it be safer to have the third row seat slid all the way forward (to be farthest away from a rear end collision) or all the way back (to give more leg room = less leg injuries)? For a FF child.

I've always kept it all the way forward. The second row is all the way forward too.

What do you think?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would move it back, because I would be afriad of a child's head striking the front seat.

Mommy2Five

I would move it back, because I would be afriad of a child's head striking the front seat.

I agree. I have ours all the way back to allow more head excursion room between the 2nd and 3rd row seats. With it all the way up, my DC's knees almost touch the seat in front of them, and I'm sure they would be thrown into the seat back in an impact. The only down side is that this set-up doesn't leave much space in the cargo area for all of our gear...

edited to add that I have to have the 2nd row all the way back to be able to fit the RF Radians and still be able to fit in the drivers seat LOL.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Rear end collisions are not nearly as common as frontals -- some vehicle manuals (my 2005 Ford Freestar) specifically state that the benches must be slid all the way back when carseats are installed.... Risk of leg injury pales in comparison to risk of spinal injury :eek:
There are 3 phases to a crash:
  • Vehicle crashes into object
    • Another vehicle or cyclist, a tree or building, an animal or human pedestrian, etc.
  • Occupants impact vehicle interior
    • Ideally we should only impact seatbelts and/or airbags. Sometimes we may impact the dashboard, windows, front seatbacks, other vehicle occupants and/or loose projectiles.
  • Internal organs impact skeletal frame
    • Brain into skull, stomach into spine, lungs into rib cage, heart into sternum, etc.
This is from my crash dynamics page.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC