BMW 530xi Wagon

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So my parents have decided they deserve a luxury car in their old age, and are pretty close to a deal on an '06 BMW 530xi Wagon. As seems to be a pattern for them, the car they want is in Ontario (where we are.) They live in BC. :rolleyes: The upside of the situation is that I get to take a look at it before it's a done deal!

We took it out for a test drive for them today (but I didn't attempt to install any seats.) It has LATCH outboard, and three tethers, but the centre seatbelt position looks a little iffy (small and narrow) for carseat installation (I didn't get to thoroughly read the manual, but I didn't notice anything saying you couldn't use a seat there, and since there is a tether, I assume it's allowed.) It also has fixed, forward of the bight buckles - I'm thinking that doesn't bode well for my Radian. :(

So, all of that rambling to ask a couple of questions:

LATCH limit for BMW?

LATCH borrowing allowed?

Anyone with any experience with this model?

How does the Nautilus, Frontier or Cargo do with forward of the bight buckles?

Thanks for your help!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

LATCH limit for BMW? BMW does not state limits for their anchors. this means it's only 40 lbs with the Frontier (the manual says assume 40 lbs if none is stated).

http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

LATCH borrowing allowed? nope

How does the Nautilus do with forward of the bight buckles? okay

Frontier poor, unless you can manage LBP

Cargo not sure, but I don't recall hearing of any specific problems like that.

good luck :)

crunchierthanthou

Hmm. My Canadian Radian says I can use LATCH to 65lbs. So do you think I could use LATCH in this car for it?

yup :)

I meant to include that, but somehow only managed to type the frontier info. :eek: And speaking of which, has anyone actually seen the CDN manual? It may not have the same "assume 40 lbs" statement as the US- let's hope, anyway.

Brendan's Mom

My husband just bought the 530xi sedan. It is used and I think it is a 2006, but I am not sure. We have a FF radian installed outboard driver and roundabout RF outboard passenger side. I didn't have a problem installing the radian. Both are installed with the seatbelt and it wasn't an issue. I did have to move the headrest up when installing the radian because it was pushing the seat out, but I have a tight install and it was checked by a tech the other week.

I haven't tried installing any seats in the center and with #3 on the way I will try to work something out. I was unable to get a good install with our evenflow triumph RF due to the contour of the seats. I couldn't tighten or loosen the harness. It was a good excuse to buy a new seat!! If you have any questions feel free to PM me! Good Luck

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Tasha, is your backseat similar to this:

BMW%20002.jpg

I think if I put DS's seat in the middle (where I usually like to have it) it would completely obscure the outboard seatbelts. Hmm.

Brendan's Mom

Sorry, we have been running around the past few days and haven't had time to get on the computer!

My center is similar except I think we have more of a hump in the middle. Outboard you seats are much flatter. Our outboard seats backs are contoured making the triumph impossible to install.

I had NO problem installing the radian outboard. The buckles being in the seat made it easy so the the connector didn't interfer with beltpath.

We have two seats so I just installed them both outboard and haven't even tried in the center. I would try it for you, but my best friend is borrowing my radian the weekend for a trip! I would like to get three seats in the back when the baby comes, but it isn't crucial. Do you need me to measure anything for you. I really wish our radian was around!! Let me know what I can do to help!! Tasha

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC