need Advantage cover!

U

Unregistered

Help!
My kiddo got sick (Yuck) in his Advantage!
I tried to wash it, but it still looks/smells awful.
I called Britax, and they don't have covers for these anymore!

I looked on eBay, but all they have are the handmade ones. Does anyone know where I could buy a cover?

ADS

Dillipop

I think the advantage is the same as a roundabout. You could probably use a roundabout cover on the advantage or look on ebay to see if there are any for sale.

U

Unregistered

The advantage is the same size as a roundabout, but it has adjustable straps & headrest (like the boulevard) so a roundabout cover wouldn't work.

The only covers on eBay were the handmade ones.
Does anyone know how safe/unsafe those are?
I'm pretty handy w/ a sewing machine myself, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize DS's safety.

I can even handle the stains on our old one, but the smell is awful!
I even tried Febreeze, but that didn't work.

Dillipop

Sorry, didn't realize they were different. What detergent did you use to wash the cover? I would try washing it again with Tide or All (regular detergent) if you used woolite and putting it through a second rinse. It might take care of the smell. I wouldn't use a handmade cover since it might interfere with how the seat works and Britax doesn't authorize it. However, you might try putting it in the dryer on low heat with a scented dryer sheet for 5 minutes if the smell is still there after washing it again. I really don't know what to tell you besides keep washing it until the smell goes away.

U

Unregistered

I used All -I washed it twice, but i didn't put it in the dryer...i was afraid it would shrink, and then we would be TOTALLY out of luck!

PS -Never let your kids have Pizza & red Kool Aid!!!!!!

Dillipop

Five minutes on low heat shouldn't shrink it. And anything is better than the smell of puke, even if you have to struggle to get it on. As long as your cover is not 100 percent cotton and even if it is, it shouldn't shrink in 5 minutes on low heat. I put my shower curtain liners in the dryer for 5 minutes on high heat and they don't melt, so your cover should be ok. The smell of the dryer sheet might be just enough to mask the smell.

Lea_Ontario

Do you have a large bucket or a washing tub ?

If so - fill it wish warm water and a box of baking soda (like 2 cups of baking soda), and soak the cover overnight or more. Then wash again - use vinegar in the rinse to neutralize the baking soda, and absorb even more odor.

Air dry - outside if you can, the air current and sun (yes, even in the winter) will help to get rid of the odor.

Over all - you're looking at about a weekend to get rid of odor.

Heck - if it worked to get vomit odor out of an 8"foam mattress, it'll work on a thin little car seat cover !

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Leila has gotten sick in her Wizard more than a few times *UGH*

What works really well for me is to wash with minimal detergent, baking soda & pure essential peppermint oil ... then rinse with vinegar & spray with lemon juice to dry in the sun. The fabric is a bit faded now & quite soft, but holding up very well still :)

The straps are the hard part, but rubbing with soapy water mixed with peppermint & air drying worked for us, too -- I'm thinking, though, that the straps only have a couple more washings in their life span before we need a new set ... just because I fear they can only handle so much puke before the smell becomes permanent, LOL!

Pure essential peppermint oil is very concentrated & a tiny bottle seems expensive, but lasts forever because you only need 1 or 2 drops & it's useful for other stinky washes, too, as well as other things. I used to buy it at our local natural foods co-operative market, but if anyone wants any at wholesale cost I'm now a distributor :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC