Question car seats&stroller for twins - need help!

markf1971

Senior Community Member
I have some good friends that are having twins and I'm trying to help them in selecting their car seat and stroller combination. A few years ago when my youngest brother had triplets I did some checking around and at that time the only stroller that was a double or bigger that could accept 2 infant carriers and be used as a stand alone stroller was the Graco Duoglider. I was severely bashed by some stroller expert for even mentioning Graco, but nobody else had anything that met the same criteria. Well, someone mentioned that there may be another one, but that the price was way up there in the atmosphere. So, I have said all of that to say this.....
I was going to, off the top of my head, suggest a Duoglider and 2 SS1s or 2 SRs, but before I could mention that the only one that I knew of was this combo...... She said that they wanted to get the Combi car seats. I told her that I didn't think that they made a stand alone stroller that would accept 2 seats unless they had something new that I didn't know about. Well after doing some checking I discovered that Combi does have a tandem (don't think that they want a side-by-side) double stroller that will accept 2 seats. However, I have read conflicting descriptions about the Combi Counterpart 2, and my computer will not load up Combi's website to get the info straight from the manufacturer. Also, as of this posting, it is a Saturday and I can't call Combi to give me a straight story on the matter. Below are the different versions that I have read or been told about the Counterpart 2:

I read on BabyAge.com that the Counterpart 2 will accept 2 Combi Centre seats at the same time (but only one of the seats can be the Centre ARB).

Then another website stated, "Can be used with one Centre Infant Car Seat (w/Anti-Rebound Bar) in the front seat of stroller, or 2 Centre Infant Car Seat without the Anti-Rebound Bar.

The guy at the local baby boutique told me that it would only accept 2 Combi Centre seats both without the ARB.

Another website called www.barebabies.com stated "Can be used with one Shuttle Infant seat in the front of the stroller. Compatible with one Combi Connection Infant Car Seat in the back seat." They do not make it clear if one of each of these seats can be used at the same time or if just one at a time.

So without being able to access Combi-intl website or call their customer service on a Saturday I don't know what to believe. Can anybody help me figure out what will and what won't work with the Counterpart 2, AND whether it is a decent stroller or not? I read some HORRIBLE reviews of the original Counterpart on the BabiesRus website.

Also, is anybody aware of any other non-frame only, tandem double strollers that will accept 2 seats at the same time? Any other one, it doesn't matter the size or brand, just that it is a stand alone tandem double that will accept 2 infant carriers.

Thanks in advance for any help that anybody can offer!

Last edited:
ADS

mom2many1972

Combi's website says Shuttle in the front and connection in the back. She can go with the snap n go double frame and follow it up with a really good double like a maclaren etc when they outgrow their car seats. And I'm not sure what the consensus is on the Kolcraft Countour tandem, but it can handle two infant seats if you get an extra car seat adapter. http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Cont...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1212875175&sr=8-1

I would pass on the Kolcraft Contours. It is very big and bulky. When you go to fold it, you have to remove the front seat in order to do so. So if you are handling 2 infants, this seat would be kind of a pain to use IMO.

canadiangie

I cannot imagine trying to steer the Counterpart with 2 infant seats attached. It's flimsy and tippy without car seats. Then down the road with 2 toddlers riding in it, it will be even worse. Honestly, I considered the Counterpart for a brief moment (I own a Centre DX car seat and my girls are 16mos apart, so I *need* a double stroller) and for various reasons decided not to get the Counterpart. Then, months later I finally got a chance to play with a Counterpart IRL, and let me tell you, I was so glad I decided against it. :thumbsdown:

I ended up getting a Maclaren side by side and ADORE it. :love:

Now with twins I can understand the need for a car seat compatible stroller, but I would look at a Snap n' Go double frame. I'd also skip the Combi infant seats and get 2 Keyfits instead. I wouldn't get SafeSeats for example b/c they might not work well for smaller babies (speaking from experience here). Twins tend to come early and be on the smaller side, so having preemie friendly seats will be an asset.... but the harness adjuster on my Combi seat was less than friendly, and the plastic puzzle buckle drove me nearly insane. I wasn't sad at all when it was recalled and we needed to purchase a convertible put it that way. :whistle:

Then, once the babies outgrow the infant seats [and frame stroller] have her sell the whole kit and kaboodle at her local twins/triplets club to fund a Mac Techno side by side.

Mac doubles are 29" wide and fit perfectly through aisles and doorways. Seriously, NO issues fitting. (I was super skeptical, but I'm a total side by side stroller convert now LOL). 29" wide is the width of a standard wheelchair, so assuming a wheelchair fits, a Mac sbs will fit too.

Hope it's okay that I was honest with my opinions. I just hate to see a whole boatload of money spent on a less than fabulous stroller and 2 car seats that may very well want to make a sleep deprived mom of twins want to rip her hair out. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC