Warning about your Scenera

Call Dorel, explain the problem. Tell them flat out you DO NOT want a new puncture proof harness, you would rather go buy a replacement seat......they will refund you up to 49.99 to purchase a new seat. You have to fax it to them, they will mail you an evenlope telling you to send them the harness, DOM sticker and 3" patch of material.

What you do with the 49.99 you get back is up to you. Keep the Scenera or buy something different (Graco, Britax, Evenflo...etc.) I returned my "new" seat and will put it toward our new Boulevard. :cool:

HTH

Mabey that is what I will do. I will call tomorrow. I am now hating my scenera! LOL!

Seriously! What a piece of crap! Those jagged edges sure could cut someone. Right now it is sitting next to my computer, I am afraid to use it. But, I have to use it on Monday when daycare boy is here.

ADS

Dragoness

OMG I just saw all of this! I have another seat I can move my son into (move all the kids up a seat, lol) and tonight before I go shopping I am pulling that seat and checking under it! I cleaned it about a month ago and didn't notice anything, but I am checking to be sure! Thanks for posting this!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We have given out tons of these seats, all with the spikes. We just gave out 10 seats yesterday, with DOMs ranging from Feb 2007-December 2007 and they all had the spikes. Talk about a massive problem if this does get recalled :eek:

PixieEMT

Well, hopefully the more people file complaints with NHTSA the faster they will wrap up their investigation. I'm sweating it out right now just waiting for a *possible* recall. I can't imagine how many harnesses might be out there damaged, b/c the parents aren't as obsessive like all of us around here. :p

All I know is: *If* there is a recall I'm contacting my local news station to see if they will run a story on my seat with the damage and the announced recall. Hopefully it will get the word around. It is a very popular seat in my area (and alot of place) due to the price.
~ How many parents just toss out the recall cards or move alot? Too many! ~ How many parents take the time to read the recall bulletin boards at Walmart/Kmart etc.? Probably not many!

Dragoness

I wanted to let everyone know that I checked our seat last night and it does indeed have the spikes, but it does not have any damage. I don't loosen the straps every time I pull my son out though, he knows how to pull his arms in after he is unbuckled. The only time we have frequent adjusting is during winter when we wear heavy clothing and semi-heavy clothing.

ProudMomof5

Do you have to uninstall the seat in order to see the spikes? I haven't pulled mine out of the car yet - I was really hoping to not have to... but I think I do.

Dragoness

Yes you have to uninstall. I had to anyway to make room for an extra adult last night so I took that oppurtunity to take a peek.

Bumblb77

Call Dorel, explain the problem. Tell them flat out you DO NOT want a new puncture proof harness, you would rather go buy a replacement seat......they will refund you up to 49.99 to purchase a new seat. You have to fax it to them, they will mail you an evenlope telling you to send them the harness, DOM sticker and 3" patch of material.

What you do with the 49.99 you get back is up to you. Keep the Scenera or buy something different (Graco, Britax, Evenflo...etc.) I returned my "new" seat and will put it toward our new Boulevard. :cool:

HTH

Which number are you guys calling? Is there a specific customer service rep that you've found to be helpful?

PixieEMT

Not really. I just called the number in the manual and website. The same telephone #s.

The 1st time I called the CS was rude and horrible. :mad:

The last time I called about getting my money refunded and not being able to send the parts from my old seat to "prove" I destroyed it. I told the CS rep that NHTSA *might* want my seat to examine it for a possible recall and I magically was put in contact with an engineer supervisor from Dorel! Then they were all nice and sweet with me! :p

I also sent an email about their poor customer service to Dorel Juvenile Corp. and Dorel Corp. Headquarters and never heard a word back......two weeks later. :rolleyes:
Shocking! not

christineka

I just talked to to a lady whose first language was definately not English. She put me on hold and when she came back told me they would send me a new harness.

Tammyfh

I'm a little confused and have a few questions....

I bought one for my son as a second seat in april. It has spike.... they cut me this morning :p I don't have any harness damage... The leg that folds when rf keeps the harness away from the spikes.... At least on mine. Even when loose I couldn't get the harness to them. Is this a RF or FF problem???? I could see how it could get caught FF if the harness was loose enough.

Someone had mentioned that the newer one had different problems??? Anything more specific??? This seat really does meet our needs and ds seems to really like it. I don't want anything that would put him in danger. We're planning on taking this one back today (still have a month to return it) and getting the new one without the spikes.

If someone knows why this would be a reallly bad idea please let me know!

PixieEMT

I'm a little confused and have a few questions....

I bought one for my son as a second seat in april. It has spike.... they cut me this morning :p I don't have any harness damage... The leg that folds when rf keeps the harness away from the spikes.... At least on mine. Even when loose I couldn't get the harness to them. Is this a RF or FF problem???? I could see how it could get caught FF if the harness was loose enough.

Someone had mentioned that the newer one had different problems??? Anything more specific??? This seat really does meet our needs and ds seems to really like it. I don't want anything that would put him in danger. We're planning on taking this one back today (still have a month to return it) and getting the new one without the spikes.

If someone knows why this would be a reallly bad idea please let me know!

The spikes seem to be mostly FF from what I gathered from NHTSA. My seat was only RF ever. It might have gotten pinched under my seat when re-installing it into our mini van. The kick stand flips out easily and maybe I pinched it. In my opinion the spikes are still a hazard no matter if the seat is FF or RF.

The newer ones are spikeless. I would call Dorel and either A) Request a "puncture proof" harness from them or B) Tell Dorel you want to buy a new Dorel seat and recieve a refund. I faxed my receipt in about a week ago to them. I bought a new Scenera , copied the receipt and returned it to the store. I bought a new Boulevard instead.
HTH

Tammyfh

The spikes seem to be mostly FF from what I gathered from NHTSA. My seat was only RF ever. It might have gotten pinched under my seat when re-installing it into our mini van. The kick stand flips out easily and maybe I pinched it. In my opinion the spikes are still a hazard no matter if the seat is FF or RF.

The newer ones are spikeless. I would call Dorel and either A) Request a "puncture proof" harness from them or B) Tell Dorel you want to buy a new Dorel seat and recieve a refund. I faxed my receipt in about a week ago to them. I bought a new Scenera , copied the receipt and returned it to the store. I bought a new Boulevard instead.
HTH

We're not keeping the one with spikes. i just was trying to figure out how this was happening and couldn't get my mind wrapped around it when I thought it was a RF problem

I've already talked to Target and I can exchange it for a new one (new straps and spikeless) so I'm avoiding the hassle with Dorel.

U

Unregistered1

So today at work I buckled a child into a scenera with the spikes. It took me a minute to figure out why the harness was so tight on one side and loose on the other! I can definitely see now how one of those could get snagged... FAST. She seemed to have some decent straps on it though, I wonder if they had a replacement harness? It didn't feel like the other Dorel harnesses.

Stretchy Glue

HTH

I think Dorel might be mistaken:eek:. The tech on our team has only had her seat rf, and she's had 2 with torn straps. She probably started the ball rolling in February since that's when she reported it the first time.

PixieEMT

I think Dorel might be mistaken:eek:. The tech on our team has only had her seat rf, and she's had 2 with torn straps. She probably started the ball rolling in February since that's when she reported it the first time.

What did she do with her seat? Do you know? Thanks for that info.

Apparently Dorel was claiming it was a FF only problem to NHTSA. The man investigating the complaint was very happy to hear my seat was only ever used RF too. ;)

The spikes are a hazard period, ff or rf! :twocents:

Stretchy Glue

The first seat she sent back to Dorel and got a replacement, the 2nd seat she sent to NHSTA. Since her son is just over a year, and she believed whole-heartedly in ERF, I guarantee she only had the seat rf.

Mommy2Marcus

I just wrote to NHTSA to tell them of the problem with my seat! I hope that the more people write them, the closer they come to making Dorel recall this seat. I cringe to think that there are children riding in these seats with damaged harnesses without their parents knowing anything b/c Dorel has not recalled the seat! Hopefully they recall it soon!

U

Unregistered1

What kills me is that most manufacturers recall for issues far minor to this, and Dorel neither makes a recall for this issue or for the Touriva notches that killed children?! Seems to me that if any other company found that something on their seat was causing dangerous snags to their harnesses, the first thing they would do is issue a voluntary recall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC