Britax Marathon Rear Facing Question

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Hi,

I am new to this foum and have a question. Does anyone know how safe it is to put our Britax Marathon rear facing on the middle rear seat on next to the door (on passenger side). We have a Suzuki XL7. I put it in the middle on the seat rear facing but the seat is a split seat and it is hard to slide the unused seat forward to get into the rear seat in the third row. I don't know the crash test ratings. We also have a Wizard which I would use in this position and feel better because of the side impac protection but my daughter hates it and cries non stop. The wings are too tight, her neck is so short so her head is at the bottom narrowest part of the wings. She is 7 months old. We just graduated from the Britax Companion. We purchased the Marathon and stuck the Wizard on the shelf in the garage. I see there is a new Boulevard with wider wings but we cannot afford to purchase yet another seat. I wish the Boulevard had been available when we purthased the others. Help. Thanks. :(

ADS

Dillipop

Any rearfacing seat provides good side impact protection compared with ffing seats. In cases of 2 children, you would always put the rfing child in the outboard seat and the ffing child in the center when possible. I have a marathon ffing for my 2.5 yr old ds and have never worried about side impact protection. The 5 point harnes adds to the protection, as well as the eps foam in the marathon. When your child goes ffing at 33 lbs, I would then try the seat in the center or try the wizard, but until then, I would feel very safe with my child rfing in the outboard seat in the marathon.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The middle is generally safer than outboard so long as the vehicle manual allows center install (I think only a few older model SUVs don't), at least 80% of the carseat makes contact with the vehicle seat & it moves less than 1" at the base -- a secure outboard fitting (near the door) is safer than an insecure center fitting & an RF harness seat outboard is very safe (safer than an FF harness outboad & both are much safer than a regular lap/shoulder belted adult outboard)....

shashoo

A note on the Wizard rf. You can put the headrest down more so it is closer to her shoulders. That way it won't be up by her ears. Their neck does get longer though...lol. And it may be more comfortable for your child when they are ready to ff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC