Seeking new car seat to keep son rear facing

M

monica

My son is 13 months old, 22 pounds and we've been using the Baby Trend Flex Loc in my 1997 CR-V. I'd like some opinions on the safest next car seat for him. He is pretty tall with long legs and we'd like to get the greatest amount of use out of what we decide to buy. I'd also like to keep him rear facing for as long as possible.
Thanks!

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

YAY for keeping him RF for as long as possible! There are several options for seats for you. Alot of it depends on your budget. I will list several from most expensive to least expensive! I own a Britax Marathon, an Evenflo Triumph Advance & a Cosco Scenera. They are all good seats. I exspecially LOVE my Marathon & my Triumph. They are both super easy to use & install. If you can afford the Marathon then I would suggest it as it has built in lock-offs that make installing SUPER easy, but if not then my next suggestion would be a Triumph Advance. Good Luck!

Britax Marathon: RF to 33-35lbs (older are 33 & the newer are 35) & FF to 65lbs Can be Tethered while RF!!
These run about $220-$300, depending on the sale. The best option for these is to try one out at like Babies R Us or USA Baby & then buy it online. I bought mine for $220 with no Tax & Free Shipping. Just search Britax Marathon & look untill you find then on sale!

Britax Boulevard: Same stats as above Marathon. The main difference is that this seat has head wings & the Marathon does not. They are also a little more exensive running from $250-$300 depending on the sale. Search for them the same as the Marathon for sales.

Sunshine Kids Radian 65-Skip the 80 unless you need it for a newborn as the 80 will not last you any longer than the 65!: RF to 35lbs & FF to 65lbs. Can be tethered while RF!!
These are GREAT for a 3 accross car seat/booster situation as they are the most narrow on the market! They run about $199+tax. They are usually only found online, although I think USA Baby May carry them, but don't quote me...I am unsure. Usually online is the BEST place for them though! Target.com sells them & you can return to the store.

The 3 Above seats can be tethered with the tether anchor while RF, Britax & Sunshine Kids are the ONLY brand that allow this, do NOT do this with any other brand of seat as it is unsafe to do so!

Evenflo Triumph Advance (Must say Advance in the name): RF to 35lbs & FF to 50lbs.
This is a great seat! Has an infinatly adjusting Harness so no more rethreading the harness to move height ever! This seat runs about $130-$180 depending on the cover you choose & the LATCH anchors it has. The most expensive version has the Alligator LATCH anchors like Britax, I own the LX & LOVE it! Can be bought at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Babies R Us, Target & Toys R Us!

Safety 1st Uptown: RF to 35lbs & FF to 40lbs. This seat is a good extra seat. It has EPS foam & padding. It has a good decent tall shell. It runs at around $100 & can be bought at Wal-Mart. Although this seat will be outgrown before your child is ready for a booster, so you will need another High Weight Harnessing seat!

Cosco Scenera: RF to 35lbs & FF to 40lbs. This is also a good back up seat. It is a basic no frills, bare bones seat. It does not have alot of padding, but my DS doesn't complain. It runs about $40-$50 at Wal-Mart, Target, & K-Mart. However with this seat make sure that you get the 5 point Harness version as it is safer. Stay away from the one with the Overhead shield or the bar that goes in front. These are Dangerous. This seat will also be outgrown before your child is ready for a booster!

Seats to STAY Away from: Any seat that says All In One, 3 in 1 or that it will be the last seat you ever need. They are outgrown WAY to early & are not ERF friendly as it has a short shell. My son outgrew the All In One I owned at 18 months completely. Also stay away from the Comfort Sport. It is not ERF friendy as it has a short shell. The straps are also notrious for getting twisted & staying that way. The Titan Elite, short shell & twisty straps. Any seat with an overhead sheild. Also most seats with a 40lb harness weight limit.

Ali

We have a 2001 CRV and the Marathon fits great in the center of the backseat with lap belt. It is super easy to tether to the front passenger seat leg.

Great job wanting to keep your little one RF!:thumbsup:

firemomof3

I'm not sure what your budget is, but here is a very good list that another member made. I would personally recommend the marathon/boulevard, it installs very easily and has high harness slots to accomidate a tall child.

Britax Marathon
33 pound rear-facing weight limit
65 pound forward-facing weight limit
17 inch top slots
EPS foam
Built-in seatbelt lockoff
Rear-facing top tether
Well-padded
Four sets of harness slots
$220-$270

Britax Boulevard
17 inch top slots
EPS foam
Built-in seatbelt lockoff
Rear-facing top tether
Well-padded
Infant insert
Side impact protection
Infinitely adjustable, no re-thread harness height (turn a knob to raise it up or down)
$270-$300

Sunshine Kids Radian 65
18 inch top slots
EPS foam
Rear-facing top tether
Well-padded
Five sets of harness slots
Three crotch strap positions
Steel alloy frame (making it heavy)
Folds for travel
Very narrow (good for three across)
Difficult to install in many vehicles
$180-$200

Safety 1st Uptown
recently discontinued, so harder to find
35 pound rear-facing weight limit
40 pound forward-facing weight limit
16 inch top slots
EPP foam (like EPS foam)
Well-padded
Three crotch strap positions
Harder to find in stores
Probably won't be the last harnessed seat you’ll need due to lower top slots and lower weight limit
$90-$110

Cosco Scenera
40 pound forward-facing weight limit
14.5 inch top slots
Very lightweight
Probably won't be the last harnessed seat you’ll need due to lower top slots and lower weight limit
$40-$50

Evenflo Triumph Advance
50 pound forward-facing weight limit
17 inch top slots
EPS foam
Infinitely adjustable harness height
Well-padded
Short tether strap may not reach tether anchors in vehicle (can order longer strap from Evenflo)
Wide seat
$130-$180

Recaro Signo
70 pound forward-facing weight limit
18 inch top slots
EPS foam
Well-padded
$250-$290

Compass True Fit
17 inch top slots
Larger inside dimensions to provide a deeper, taller and wider seating
No-rethread harness
Deep side wings & EPS foam liner
$179-$199

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC