Question Radian in 3rd row of Sienna?

Chex

So I ran across one thread where somebody said they couldn't get a good install in the 3rd row of a Sienna. I'm trying to help my friend get new carseats (she's one of the only people I've convinced to change what's she's got to be safer). So she wants to put 2 of her kids back in harnesses. She's got 4 kids right now and they're about to start trying to conceive #5, so I'm trying to figure out the best situation for when #5 comes along (so they won't have to go carseat shopping again). They have a 2007 (I think) Sienna, 7 passenger.

She doesn't want to have the baby (#5) in the 3rd row, and so I'm trying to figure out a 3-across situation w/1 in a booster and 2 in harnesses (all forward-facing) for the 3rd row. Right now she's got her youngest (#4) in a Scenera and I told her that was a great one to keep. We're changing all the others' seats. (Her oldest (7) wasn't in anything, and her next 2 (5 and 3) were in low-back boosters.:thumbsdown:

I've talked a lot about the Radians and how great they are for 3-across, but now I need to know if I should direct her to another seat.

Good grief, sorry for the long post. Finally, my question: Will a 3-across work w/2 Radians and a HBB in the 3rd row? And if not, any ideas of what might work?

Thanks!

-Ann

ADS

Mom to a few

(I have a 2006 Sienna) I haven't installed a Radian in my car, but wanted to tell you that the child in the HBB will have to sit on the driver's side of the 3rd row because that position doesn't have a top tether.

There is LATCH in the center and passenger side, but there wouldn't be enough room for the booster if you use the center LATCH. I've found the center seatbelt install to be very easy, but had lots of trouble with the passenger side belt because of the angle that the buckle comes out of the seat (on a rigid stalk).

So hopefully you could install a seat with LATCH on the passenger side, center with a seatbelt, and then driver's side in a HBB. Good luck!

Chex

I saw somewhere that somebody got a good install in the center position. I'm worried about the outboard position. Has anybody ever done it there?

I've got an Odyssey, so I'm very familiar with all the tricks of getting a good install (I've done it several times now in the 3rd row of my Odyssey). But I know that Radians are still impossible to install in some positions (even with all the tricks). So before I have my friend buy 2 Radians, I want to make sure she can get a seatbelt install in 2 positions in the 3rd row. And they will have to be seatbelt installs since both kids are over 40 lbs now.

Thanks!

-Ann

supermommyof2

I couldn't get an acceptable sb install in the ps 3rd row position, but the lower anchors work fine there.

I'm pretty sure that somebody with a Latch manual posted that Toyota deferrs to the CR for lower anchor limits, but I'll do a search to doulble check. The newer Radians don't have a lower anchor limit, at least mine doesn't :D That may only be Cndn ones, though, now that I think about it. There may have been a discussion about that too...

ETA: Toyota lower anchor limits (there's a few other threads as well)

Chex

Awesome! Thanks for the info. So her kids can stay in the Radians using LATCH (for at least one of the seats) until they hit 60 lbs? Or should I go with the 48 lb limit?

-Ann

supermommyof2

As long as the manual doesn't specify 48lb limit for Latch. I'm pretty sure I remember somebody posting that US Radian manual didn't change when the Cndn one did.

Chex

Wow, that's great! So is there a limit then? Or would it be the full weight limit of the seat (65 lbs)?

supermommyof2

My manual says to discontinue use of lower anchors after 65lbs (or something to that effect). It does sound pretty funny on a seat that doesn't go past 65lbs, but hey, I'm not going to argue :D (Not that I'll have to worry about it, we'll be lucky to make it to 48lbs at the rate the boys are sprouting)

Chex

That's great! I'm so excited to tell her to go ahead and order them!

Makes you wonder if Toyota does extra reinforcements on their LATCH or what. I wonder why they allow more weight and the other car manufacturers don't.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Radians sold in the U.S. specify a LATCH weight limit of 48 lbs. in their instruction manuals/labeling, though, at which point a seatbelt installation would be necessary.

Last edited:

Mom to a few

Radians sold in the U.S. specify a LATCH weight limit of 48 lbs. in their instruction manuals/labeling, though, at which point a seatbelt installation would be necessary.

I guess that's where my thinking on the Toyota LATCH limit came from. I thought that most carseats here only allow LATCH installation up to 48 lbs, and that Toyota allows you to follow the carseat manufacturers recommendations. So although Toyota doesn't specify a weight, it's usually only going to be 48 lbs if that's all that the CR instructions allow.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
The only way you are going to get 3 across in the 3rd row of Sienna is to use the seat belt for all installs. I successfully was able to get 3 Britax convertibles across the back - 2 RF and 1FF in the center.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=27880

One of the convertibles was a DC the other 2 were MAs. I have since tried 3 across with 2 MAs and 1BV in the same configuration and was not able to get all 3 tightly installed. There is just something about the absence of the LATCH bars on the DC that allowed just enough room to get 3 across.

So that being said I have tried a FF Radian install in the center using the tips supplied by supermommyof2. It was definitely solid and I was able to get a RF MA next to it on the driver's side solid as well. I did not try the MA FF as I had "borrowed" the Radian from a store. I want to get a Radian for DS now that he is FF and I wanted to make sure the DD can ride RF next to him in the 3rd row. But I'm waiting for the rumored "updated" version of the Radian that is supposed to come out...soon I hope.

I think someone suggested one Radian passenger side with LATCH (up to 48lbs), Radian in the center with seatbelt, and then HBB on driver's side...THAT might work =) Best of luck.

Mommy2Marcus

Just a dumb question, but why not try to install your Radian to see if it works? That way you could see how it would fit her children as well as fit her vehicle in all seating positions? Just a thought!

Chex

That's exactly what I wanted to do. But we don't live super close to each other and she was in a hurry to order seats. Luckily I convinced her to wait until we saw them again so that I could do just that. I want to try mine in all3 positions of her backseat. We're actually getting together w/them tomorrow for Memorial Day, so I'll get to try it out then. I was just trying to get a quick answer because I thought she was going to order them the day after I posted the original question. I'm glad I was able to convince her to wait, though.
Not that I want her children in unsafe seats for longer than they have to be, but I also don't want her to get a bad taste in her mouth about getting new carseats if she ordered some and they didn't even work in her van.

One quick question, NatenMaddiesMommy, you said Radians were getting an "updated" version soon? What's that about? What are they going to do different?

-Ann

lilybud

I installed my Radian65 last night center third row with latch in my 2004 Sienna using the tips on the link above. I did get a tighter fit by reclining a bit, tightening the latch strap and straightening the seat back. On the driver's side is a Fisher Price Safe Voyage. So far it is the only thing I can find to fit in the drivers side 3rd row spot. Please let me know if anything doesn't look right. I am also trying to find 5 point harness seat for my almost six year old that will fit on the passenger's side and that will last as long as possible. (We have a RF Marathon on the drivers side second row captains chair and a booster in the passenger's side captains chair).

Dawn

Don't forget to remove your headrests when installing front facing in your Sienna's 3rd row seat. I read the manual recently when dd asked to move to the back. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC