Safest crossover cars?

Kellyr2

This may be premature, but my guess is that my van is totaled. The only thing I haven't loved about my van is its gas mileage, which could be helped with a smaller vehicle.
I need to be able to seat 6, though, so I'm thinking of crossovers. I know very little about them in general, though. I know I can seat 6 in one, and I know that I'll have much less cargo room. And we travel a good bit.

Is it safe to assume that the Kia Rondo rates pretty high?

And am I right in my assumption that they'd get better gas mileage than a van?

Price is an issue as well. I'd buy used. We just bought the van about 6 weeks ago. Thankfully, there is no lien, but we did have a personal loan that we used to finance the purchase. But I don't know if, or how much, money we'll lose if it is totaled. I don't know if we can get a crossover for any cheaper than our van anyway, as new as they are to the market. I just checked the lot where we got the van, and they've got 07 Rondo's at 14990, which is what we paid for the Sedona.

I may just get another Sedona, though. Or, it may not be totaled. I'm just trying to think about this now, rather than having to rush to figure it out in a few days.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Mazda5 has been out since '06, I believe (maybe '05?) so you might be able to get a pretty good deal on one. The '08 models start at about $17-18K; I got my my '07 stripped-down model brand-new for $17K.

I don't know about the Kia Rondo, but the Mazda5 hasn't been crash-tested in the U.S. yet. It has been tested in Europe and Japan, though, and did VERY well there.

Heather98012

There are TONS of CUVs to look at (I'm a car freak....I research cars all the time even if I'm not buying), but at your price point, you may have an issue getting into one that seats 6.

You could easily find a one or two year old Mazda 5 that would be about the same price as the Kia Rondo. Another option would be a few years old Chrysler Pacifica.

Good luck....hopefully your Sedona isn't totalled, though!

Marinesfamily5

the Dodge Journey can seat the six and is pretty nice too.

and IMO I hope your van IS totalled. you really don't want to drive a vehicle that has had alot of damage, especially if the frame was bent in any way. a straightened frame will be weaker at the previous damage point.:twocents:

I hope you find a vehicle to your needs!

another thought... GMC Acadia?

pastrygirl

I research cars all the time even if I'm not buying)

Me too!! It's terribly addicting. I've already decided which cars I want to test drive, but I won't be able to because we're not looking to buy a car any time soon! :eek:

Another option would be a few years old Chrysler Pacifica.
Since this is the last model year for the Pacifica, you might find really great deals on a new one. It's something I'm considering!! (must not buy new car. must not buy new car.)

The Acadia seems to get good reviews all around, except for maybe gas mileage. It supposedly has very roomy third row seating. It's at the top of my list! Along with the Mazda CX-9, Dodge Journey, and Ford Freestyle/Taurus-x.

canadianmom2three

LOVE our new Hyundai Veracruz, and it gets great safety ratings - comes with six standard airbags - two advanced front airbags, two front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and two roof-mounted side curtain airbags for outboard passengers in all rows. The front seat also has active head restraints which move in rear-end collisions to cushion the occupant's head, and the steering wheel is designed to crumple into the dash. Has a whole bunch of other safety features too, ESC, standard AWD, some tire pressure monitoring system and on and on. LATCH in middle row only outboard, and tether for mid row only :mad: but at least Hyundai has no latch limits, and there are adjustable headrests in all positions, so that is a bonus. It is comparable to the van on the highway, but a bit greedy in the city.

Heather98012

The Verazcruz & Acadia/Outlook/Enclave are all good options, however I think they are all going to be more than she wants to spend. The Santa Fe is a great car as well, but since they redesigned it a year or two ago, I know the prices have creeped up as well (not as much as the Veracruz, though).

If price is the issue, I'd strongly suggest the Mazda5 or a Pacifica. Since '08 is the last year, there will be some deals to be had on a slightly used one, for sure!

So, any word back on your minivan??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC