which would you recommend?

VirginiaDavis

On another forum Im on, a mommy asked what seat she should buy..

Basically, the seat is only used a few times a month. It needs to be installed each time, as the parents dont own a car. The little girl is just over 1 year old. She recently outgrew her infant carrier, so they are looking for a seat that is easy to install and is safe..

I said for now, they could pick up a Scenera, as its a good seat and not spendy, until they got their own car..

Someone else said, that Sceneras are cheap, you get what you pay for and said they would only recommend a Britax or Radian..:confused:

So! Im curious what you guys would recommend? They are considering getting a car in the future but they arent sure when..

ADS

Stretchy Glue

There is nothing wrong with the scenera. If you use it correctly it is just as safe as a Britax. I personally find it hard to recommend to anyone to drop $250+ on a seat they won't use more than 3-4 times a month. Unless they have disposable income, that doesn't seem reasonable. Once a person learns how to install the Scenera correctly, it's fine, but it can cause some issues sometimes with people who are unfamiliar with it.

wildeyes

in that situation a scenera is a great choice. they can always upgrade later if they want, and it will give them plenty of time to save for a car. whoever said they would only recommend a radian or a britax was just well... not taking everything into consideration maybe. i have 2 sceneras and while i dont love them, they are safe, and i am confident that dd2 does not know the difference, at least not yet.

mominabigtruck

In a sense they are kinda right. All seats on the market are tested by the govt and proven safe but the more you spend the more features you get.

The scenera is perfectly safe but it is a thinner shell with a thin cover and no pad or eps foam and can be a pita to install correctly depending on the vehicle.

Depending on her size, since you said she just outgrew her infant seat and I'm assuming its just a standard 20/22 one then I would get a ss1. Easy to install, portable and can be relatively cheap if you look for sales or discontinued fabrics.

The scenera would be a fine choice, it just depends on what vehicle they're installing it in and can they do it correctly.

VirginiaDavis

That is basically what I was saying, but I figured asking you guys and letting the mom see was the best bet :D

Thanks!

ETA: Im not sure if its the same vehicle every time or not. One reason I was thinking that one, is its light and easy to transport.

Mommy2Marcus

I to would have suggested the Scenera for them. Another seat they might check out though if they dislike the Scenera is the Uptown, as from what I understand it is lightweight as well & not that much more than the Scenera...about $100. I think that spending the money on a Britax or Radian is not worth it at this point unless they have the money! While I do LOVE my Marathon, I am also happy with my Scenera & use it almost daily for short trips! I also have not found either one to be hard to install!

Also just wanted to ask...is the little girl still RF? I hope so as it is SO much safer to RF than to FF at this age!

shanna81

Thank you Virginia!

Hi I am the mom with the one year old daughter
that Virginia was posting about.

I dont own a car, my husband & I dont even have our
license (which I am currently trying to get).
I guess whatever car seat I get I'll keep my
daughter rf'ing.

Thank you for all your responses.

Some of the carseats you are mentioning like..
Uptown
ss1
Radian

doesnt seem like Canadian stores sells them here???
I dont know, will be going carseat shopping in a few days.

Thanks again!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You might want to post again in the Canadian section, they have all the scoop on available seats and where to find them :thumbsup:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Some of the carseats you are mentioning like..
Uptown
ss1
Radian

doesnt seem like Canadian stores sells them here???
I dont know, will be going carseat shopping in a few days.

The Uptown, as far as I know, is not available in Canada. Both the SafeSeat and Radian are (in Canada, the SS1 is just called the SafeSeat, since we don't have the 2 & 3.) The SafeSeat is relatively widely available; Sears, The Bay, Toys 'R' Us - but the Radian is a little tougher to find - it's generally only available at baby specialty stores.

HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC