Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member stephie1012's Avatar

booster question

so DH and i decided we would take our nephew camping with us this weekend. hes 9 but very small maybe like 50lbs i guess?
    well of course SIL has him sitting with a seatbelt no booster or nothing
    so i told Dh if we take him he HAS to ride in some sort of seat...i need something kinda inexpensive since we wont use it often and i need to do 3across in either a H3 or a Nissan Titan
    (ughh he has my 8yr old neice with a seatbelt,my 4yr old (35lbs) neice in a booster, his cousin has her 2.5 yr old 35lber in a booster, and her mom is a carseat certified since shes a cop)

anyway any recomendations for me?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: booster question

The whole idea of the booster is proper fit of the lap/shoulder belt for a child not tall enough to sit in the belt alone. Any small booster seat for 15-20 dollars at your local discount superstore will probably work for occasional use and fit...the graco turbobooster comes to mind...but there are probably other folks here who will answer you with even more options as far as brands go.

He is old enough probably, but does not sound large enough for the shoulder belt to cross the middle of his collarbone and the lap part of the seat belt to stay low on his hips. A booster will solve that issue more than likely.

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

For an older kid who has a headrest available, I'd suggest the Cosco Ambassador. It's cheap, and IM(well my DS's;-)E tends to be more comfortable than the Turbo.
    Mom to DS-21 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

Senior Community Member stephie1012's Avatar

DH just said his sister has one for him why she doesnt use it is beyond me UGGGHHHHH!
    but i still might buy one bc who knows what kinda shape or how old it is