Can you check this install quickly?

stacie78

I just installed my Costco Scenera into the rental car... not sure if i did it right. We have a Britax in our regular car and this install looks pretty much like that, but I didn't install that one. We're going to be using this in the morning, so I want to make sure it's right!
I pulled the shoulder belt all the way out and then let it "click" it's way back in. Then I stood in the seat and tightened it a little more. It started to lift up on the shoulder belt side. Does that mean it's too tight?
Thanks!
IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's hard to tell in the pictures, but is the front of the car seat (the part under the baby's feet) on the vehicle seat or is it smushed into the seat back? You want the plastic to be resting on the vehicle seat itself.

BW1426

Your rental car should have LATCH and that should help with the tipping issue. Also, a locking clip really helps out when you have a RF seat tipping with a lap shoulder belt.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The unused LATCH connectors need to be hooked to those little holes on the side of the seat (near the child's head).

If it isn't already, the tether needs to be connected to the little clip on the reclining foot (on the underside of the seat).

:)

stacie78

The car manual says that I can't use LATCH in the center...

I'll put a towel in for the base - right now it is kind of jammed into the seat. I forgot about the towel! The picture in the manual looks like this and i just didn't think about it! Thanks!!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, I would rather a towel be under there, since it looks like there is a gap. Vehicle seats will compress in a crash, and that is just more slack in the belt :)

You are right, no LATCH in center, so if you wanted to use LATCH you would have to move it outboard. I would leave it in the center as long as you get a secure install.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
THis is a terrible picture of the tether hook, but this is what you are supposed to hook the unused tether to:
S8000422.jpg

This is also not a great picture, but here are the hooks for the unused LATCH hooks:
S8000766.jpg

(Please ignore the bags on the seat next to the seat. I had temporarily set them down before taking the picture. The bags DID NOT stay there! :p).

stacie78

Ok, I'm going to go put a towel under the base and attach the unused LATCH hooks to the top. Anything else while I'm out there? Do I need to start over to put the towel in or just slide it under?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You need to uninstall. Roll up the towel, put it in the seat bight (crease of seat), set the front plastic part on it and re-install. :)

crunchierthanthou

I pulled the shoulder belt all the way out and then let it "click" it's way back in. Then I stood in the seat and tightened it a little more. It started to lift up on the shoulder belt side. Does that mean it's too tight?

rf sceneras can be a little tippy, especially with a locking shoulder retractor. There are a couple of things you can try so that it doesn't tip as much. First would be to use a locking clip instead of locking the seatbelt. If you don't have yours along or don't want to use it then you can try this-

pull the cover back over the beltpath. I like to climb in behind it and push forward with my hips so that I have both hands free to work with the belt. buckle the seatbelt, but don't lock it yet. feed the lapbelt into the buckle while pulling the shoulder part tight. Tighten the lapbelt across the whole beltpath- not just right next to the buckle. Cinching it on just one side will contribute to the tipping. Get the lap portion as tight as you can (so there is less than 1" of movement at the beltpath) and lock the shoulder belt as the very last step. Allow it to retract naturally and don't force any additional webbing into the retractor.

I also second the suggestions to store the LATCH straps and use a rolled towel (I've never been able to get an acceptable rf recline on a scenera without a towel or pool noodle).

What kind of car are you renting and how old is the child?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC