Help!!!

J

Jacklyn

Help Please!!! I have a 20# 6 month old son who cries horribly when he is alone in the backseat. He'll cry to the point where he can hardly breathe :( It's heart breaking. I've been arguing with DH who wants to put him ff so he can see that he is not "alone". Any suggestions on what we can do to avoid this would be truly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

ADS
U

Unregistered

does he have a babyview mirror? If he can see himself or you it might help.

Though... I found that I went through a stage with my DS that no matter what he screamed and it was because he was in the carseat all together and no other reason. I started playing a specific lullaby song over and over in the car and after a day or 2 he would concentrate on the music and even "sing"(baby bahhs to the music, it was cute).

There is a book called the 'no cry sleep solution' that has a passage on carseat tricks for fussy babies. If you googled it you mind find mentions of the techniques. I cant remember them cause it has been a long time.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I totally agree that it's more a matter of simply being confined in any way whatsoever at that age when little ones are more or less "programmed" to be exploring exploring exploring -- having someone else in the back is just like the best thing to explore & occupy kiddo's attention such that being constrained isn't as noticeable to him.... So, when there are 2 adults in the car, have someone sit in the back with him even if it means installing the carseat next to the door instead of in the middle (so long as the seat base doesn't move more than 1" it is still very safe: RF 5-point carseat is actually safer next to the door than an adult is using a 3-point lap/shoulder belt). The No Cry Sleep Solution (for infants & for toddlers/preschoolers) is great in general, & I've also found that just playing kiddo's favorite music everytime he's in the car helps, as does providing a carseat mirror & other toys in a sort of random rotation so kiddo doesn't get bored with them (safe toys for in the car should be soft: cloth books, finger/hand puppets, etc.)

No matter what, try to have faith that this is just a stage in his development & he must not be turned forward-facing for AT LEAST another 6 months; if it isn't illegal in your state to turn him FF before 12 months it is still just very unwise because it is the law of physics that matter most). Car accidents are the #1 cause of death for children -- the American Academy of Pediatrics & National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have policy statements that children should remain RF until they reach the maximum weight/height limits of their seats (convertible RF/FF carseats last until 30-35 pounds RF). Some countries require kids stay RF until about 3-5 years old & there's never been a recorded case of leg/foot injury from extended RF, but many cases of serious/fatal neck/spine injury from FF too soon :eek: :( You can have your DH browse through the following information & he could also visit a local Child Passenger Safety Technician for free info/help....Best of luck to you all :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC