Do I need to use the lock offs

MichelleMay

on my new Marathon in the center seat (rear facing, lap belt only) of a '99 Tahoe? My manual doesn't say what kind of seat belt it is but the tech that installed the last seat told me that it was the kind that didn't need a locking clip for that seat (sorry, I can't remember the technical term for it). If I do need to use the lock offs I think I have a problem. With the belt as tight as it needs to be the buckle is too high. The buckle sits at the lock off instead of the belt.

ADS

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
Hi!
As long as your seat belt locks (so it doesn't retract back into the seat) you do not need to use the lockoffs if you don't want to (or are unable to)

As long as you have less than 1 inch of movement at the belt path, then you should be good to go!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
If you have a lap only belt you probably have a locking latchplate. You do not need to use the lockoffs. You can close the lockoffs over the lapbelt if you want too.

MichelleMay

Yes, locking latchplate sounds familiar. Can you tell by the picture if that's what it is? I guess even if it is I was thinking of using the lock offs just to be *extra* safe but it doesn't look like I can. (sorry so blurry)

100_1816.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You don't need to use it (just echoing everyone else)...but using it would lock the seat in relative to the belt webbing, which IS 'extra safe'...you could lock the other side (in fact, the manual says to lock the one on the side away from the buckle: this problem you are having with the latchplate in the lockoff is very common, so they say lock the other side, to prevent lockoffs from breaking).
As for this side, I'd probably just reinstall and lock the lockoff before you run the belt over it. You could go through a whole lot of trouble and twist the buckle stalk down so that the lockoff can be locked, but it's not necessary (just the sort of thing some of us would do for a challenge, maybe, but definitely not necessary, lol).

:)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yes, it is a locking latchplate. Thanks for posting the pic. Not neccesary for you to close the lock off, but you can if you like. As Jools said you can twist the buckle stalk down up to 3 times and reinstall the seat that way. It should get the latchplate out of the way of the lockoff so you can close it. The main reason I close mine even with a lap belt only install is to keep the lockoffs from accidentally getting broken.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC