2+2 coupe isnt going to work :(

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I have finally come to terms with the fact my 2+2 (2 front seats and 2 rear seats with no middle) coupe is not going to be my car forever. I took 3 car seats to the shop where she's being stored till after court and tried to get 2 infant seats and SIL's FFing seat in there, its not possible.

First of all i had a really hard time installing 2 rfing seats side by side in the back b/c i couldnt find anywhere to put my legs when i did the 2nd seat. Then i installed SIL's seat FFing in the front and discovered that *smacks forehead* to tether it i need the rear seat belt so thats not an option. I installed in in the rear with the tether and then installed the infant seat in the front but i cant move the seat to let her in and out and the drivers seat doesnt move enough to let her past the infant seat and i need the infant seat behind me so i can get the baby in and out (pass seat cant move b/c of other seat!) So my car is now sort of useless. I cant sell it, i'm fitting tooth and nail to have it fixed from my accident and i love it so i think its going to be the car i take when i have less than 2 kids with me. (more seats? ;) )

So now i need a bigger car. I'd like something bigger than a car b/c i drive my neighbors kids around and i would like to not have to remove my seats every other day. At 19, a minivan just plain scares me. I'm not ready to give up all 'coolness' and move from an awesome car to a minivan with tv's in the headrests (i'm not big on tv so i'd rather not have this. Maybe i'm just showing my lack of momming experience!)

Any recommendations for an SUV (on not so bad minivan) that would work with 3+ seats and would be able to be driven 200+ miles a week without killing me in gas money?

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I just bought the Mazda 5. It is sporty, seats 6, side curtain airbags, looks like an suv but doesn't cost tons (18,000) and drives great. I am completly happy with it. There was some discussion on it awhile ago, regarding it being new and not being tested by Nhtsa, but it did do well in NCAP tests. Check it out.. I am currently getting 25 mph/gal, but i drive a lot of city miles as well as highway miles... I believe I could get better mileage if I didn't have to drive so much city. I drive an average of 1000 miles a week for my job as a case manager and my kids daycares/schools...

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I just bought the Mazda 5. It is sporty, seats 6, side curtain airbags, looks like an suv but doesn't cost tons (18,000) and drives great. I am completly happy with it. There was some discussion on it awhile ago, regarding it being new and not being tested by Nhtsa, but it did do well in NCAP tests. Check it out.. I am currently getting 25 mph/gal, but i drive a lot of city miles as well as highway miles... I believe I could get better mileage if I didn't have to drive so much city. I drive an average of 1000 miles a week for my job as a case manager and my kids daycares/schools...

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Ok, I am having trouble with my posting, and can't get the second one above to delete. So sorry about the repeat messages.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have been hands down impressed with the Chevy Equinox/ Pontiac Torrant. I can get 3 seats across the back. It's a small sporty suv with good gas mileage and plenty of cargo room. Also has side curtain air bags for both rows plus OnStar which I will never live with out now days.

I was driving one (loaner vehicle while my Tahoe was in for service) when I was t-boned by a driver who ran a 4 way stop sign. I had my 2 1/2yr old in the vehicle with me. We both walked away just sore (more me then her). OnStar was on the in car phone system in a matter of seconds (they called the vehicle when they where alerted of the side curtain airbags being deployed) and had help on the way with out me notifing anyone.

I have had to use OnStar a few times with my Tahoe (my 4 1/2yr old locked my keys in my truck and us out while standing in Target parking lot. Just called them from my cell phone and they unlocked my truck in a matter of seconds. So, Needless to say all my/our future vehicles will be OnStar equipped for that add peace of mind.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I would love to have onstar and wish it came in my mazda. I love those commercials when they play tape of actual onstar calls. I think it is an awesome service and glad you were ok after your crash.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
"Dreaming..." I don't think you're showing any lcak of Mama Instinct or anything here -- in fact, there's lots of research showing that excessive TV is not healthy for kids & for this reason & this reason alone I am undecided about taking the offer I have of getting a Freestar with DVD + $1,000 cash back ... I've always been able to keep the kids entertained even on long rides just by rotating soft toys, playing car games (like "I spy" etc.), singing along to their favorite music & having the bigger kids read to the smaller kids *SHRUG* My daughter gets way more than the recommended amount of TV per week for her age as it is :eek: I vowed when I became pregnant that I wouldn't get a minivan until I turned 40, LOL, but here I am just 25 & my mind has completely changed since seeing how small most SUV 3rd row seats are & paying the recent higher cost of gas :eek: Anyway, the Equinox does seem like a nice small SUV -- not sure how the measurements compare, but I can just squeez 3 seats into my Escape (not easily, though) & I think I remember the Equinox has better crash ratings...? Either way, lately I'm feeling like 1 major factor sometimes overlooked is the dealership itself -- after I'm done with this particular deal I'm never going back to this same dealer again *SIGH* An idea I had & did earlier today with this dealer is to schedule a visit with the local CPST during my test drive! That probably won't work for everyone all the time, but I'm happy it worked for me (becuase the dealership doesn't keep meanuals inside the vehicles & we couldn't find any LATCH hooks, but the tech helped solve all that). Anyway, best of luck finding the right vehicle for you & your family :cool:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
papooses said:
"Dreaming..." I don't think you're showing any lcak of Mama Instinct or anything here -- in fact, there's lots of research showing that excessive TV is not healthy for kids & for this reason & this reason alone I am undecided about taking the offer I have of getting a Freestar with DVD + $1,000 cash back ... I've always been able to keep the kids entertained even on long rides just by rotating soft toys, playing car games (like "I spy" etc.), singing along to their favorite music & having the bigger kids read to the smaller kids *SHRUG* My daughter gets way more than the recommended amount of TV per week for her age as it is :eek: I vowed when I became pregnant that I wouldn't get a minivan until I turned 40, LOL, but here I am just 25 & my mind has completely changed since seeing how small most SUV 3rd row seats are & paying the recent higher cost of gas :eek: Anyway, the Equinox does seem like a nice small SUV -- not sure how the measurements compare, but I can just squeez 3 seats into my Escape (not easily, though) & I think I remember the Equinox has better crash ratings...? Either way, lately I'm feeling like 1 major factor sometimes overlooked is the dealership itself -- after I'm done with this particular deal I'm never going back to this same dealer again *SIGH* An idea I had & did earlier today with this dealer is to schedule a visit with the local CPST during my test drive! That probably won't work for everyone all the time, but I'm happy it worked for me (becuase the dealership doesn't keep meanuals inside the vehicles & we couldn't find any LATCH hooks, but the tech helped solve all that). Anyway, best of luck finding the right vehicle for you & your family :cool:

We do have a DVD entertainment system in our Tahoe & Chevy Sliverado but it came standard with the trim level on my Tahoe. We did have one installed in the Sliverado 2yrs ago. I will say we very seldomly use it except when one is extremely cranky. We tell them its for special occassions so to them its a reward to get to watch tv in the vehicle. Since we take dh truck on long trips we wanted to have the dvd system to entertain the girls if need be. But, For the most part they really don't watch it much on long trips. We bring a lot of books & games to keep them entertained with out needing the tv that much.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I've been looking at cars in my schools parking lot (i have an hour to kill that i just sit in my car and look at others cars) and i've noticed i like the suburban and the Denali but i bet they're gas hogs. I've seen a few *gasp* minivans that i liked but most of which i've heard didnt get great ratings. (Chevy Venture mainly)

I've realized that with 3 rows most SUV's will have limited cargo space and with twins and a 4 year old i think cargo space will be a necessity. I think i like the idea of "stow and go" (dodge grand caravan) but i havent seen it yet and as an engineer i'm picky about things like that ( :) )

My SIL is addicted to TV. She watches more than i do! She watches it the minute she wakes up and they generally let her watch any movie she wants to (barbie movies all day long) all day unless she goes with her mother to work (the gym daycare) where they have noggin on all day and at night she watches grown up movies and cuddles with her mom until she falls asleep. When we watch her i try to keep her entertained without it but anytime i ask her "what should we do next?" she responds with some movie title. (princess and the paumper generally) Once adopt her i want to limit her access to TV as much as possible so she doesnt realize she's missing it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Jenny, I'm afraid that since I bring DD to work with me & too often have to resort to the mechanical babysitter (right next to my desk, fortunately) my kiddo is more like Dreamin's SIL when it comes to TV -- I just know we'll have to work really hard on getting to the point where she'll accept & cooperate with the notion that we don't watch DVDs every single time we're in the vehicle :eek: In fact, this is why we don't even have TV at home ... I'm afraid I'm not up for the challenge :rolleyes: But, ultimately I think I am deciding to go for the Freestar, although I'm already nervous about those 1st few weeks it will likely take to get Leila used to the idea (I wish the dealer hadn't shown me that in front of her, LOL)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
have you had to turn lelia FFing? (awesome name by the way) If she's rfing she cant see the TV's. And theres always that age old excuse "i'm sorry honey i dont know how to work the tv's." I use it on SIL when she wants to watch TV and i dont want to watch anymore noggin. I do have a hard time working her parents tv (who has 3 remotes for one tv? really?) b/c i watch very little tv and when i do its on an old tv without digital cable and no DVD player.

I know when SIL went to Disney land last year with her cousins, they has TV in the car and she apparently loved it and was good the whole time. They see sitting staring at the TV as a good girl habit i'd rather she be a bit loud and playing with her car toys than staring at a TV its bad enough shes strapped down for 6+ hours in her seat. Last time i babysat her i tried to read her a story and couldnt find any books in their home except one copy of harry potter that was still in cellophane! (not even a phone book!) When i asked MIL about it she responded with "well we do have this really big book of nursery rhymes i used to read her when i was breastfeeding her in the hospital but i left it there when she came home and i just never thought to buy another copy. She didnt seem that interested anyway." (Her mom chain smoked her entire pregnancy and then gave birth to her at 30 weeks pregnant. So she spent 4 weeks in the hospital.) Crazy woman, i swear! I've started collecting children's books (and baby clothes for both sexes :) ) and i asked my mom for my old books but apparently thats is her stash for reading to her grand kids so i guess she'll get to hear all the good ones when shes with my mom!

skaterbabs

how old is your SIL? I'd be happy to donate a few books to the cause. I firmly believe one can never have too many books! My TV addicts love to read too. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
She's very lucky to have you, Dreamin! :) I could also send a few books.... Does your Dept. of Social/Human/Family Services offer any kind of Reading Partnership? Here, we have specially marked red bookshelves at common kids' areas throughout town where people donate & take books as they wish :) Leila really digs it (thanks about her name, too!) -- I just started something with her at work that seems to be helping a lot: I set my cell phone to make an alarm sound at the same time each day -- it's the Sound of Music "Do Re Mi..." & we call it our reading alarm -- she's getting used it & looks forward to it now :) She is FF'ing in the car since just a couple months ago when she reached the max RF limit on the Wizard/Boulevard, but in June I'm getting the Two Way Plus to revert her back to RF! We'll probably need to do another living room floor crash test role play thing for her to be cooperative sice she does enjoy FF! Hopefully by then the DVD issue will have dissipated a bit & going RF again might just settle the whole issue altogether, LOL ... at least I hope so because I decided to go for the Freestar!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh my girls have books coming out of every nook & crany we have. We strongly believe in reading books to the girls. We always take books with us on road trips. I just love to hear them make up the stories of the books as we go. Remember they are still young (Kaylee is just learning to read & Kinlee is only 2 1/2).

We made it very clear that the tv's in the vehicles are for special occasions only. Trust me they ask from time to time but I just tell them "No, We don't watch tv in the truck just to go to the grocery store or where ever we are going." They both are usually okay with that.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
papooses said:
Jenny, I'm afraid that since I bring DD to work with me & too often have to resort to the mechanical babysitter (right next to my desk, fortunately) my kiddo is more like Dreamin's SIL when it comes to TV -- I just know we'll have to work really hard on getting to the point where she'll accept & cooperate with the notion that we don't watch DVDs every single time we're in the vehicle :eek: In fact, this is why we don't even have TV at home ... I'm afraid I'm not up for the challenge :rolleyes: But, ultimately I think I am deciding to go for the Freestar, although I'm already nervous about those 1st few weeks it will likely take to get Leila used to the idea (I wish the dealer hadn't shown me that in front of her, LOL)

I totally understand. Not sure what if you have a dvd player at work or not. But, If you do there are some great educational dvd by Leap Frog that are WONDERFUL! I got them at Target for a really good price. The alphabet sounds one really helped Kaylee learn her sounds of the alphabet. They also have a math one and a few other. Might want to look into those for her. At least if she has to watch tv it can be educational at the same time. It's a win-win situation.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've always tried reading to Leila - when she nursed, before bed, while she was in the tub, at stop lights, in the line for the bank, etc. ... but she had it in her mind that the only person who was allowed to read to her is her grandpa :rolleyes: It took almost 3 years for her to finally enjoy my reading to her & that only because I was tricking her by doing so while we played dress up & acted out the stories :p She's always got a book in her hand, though & expects me to read her to sleep each night now -- my fingers are crossed that she's as good as your kids, Jenny, when it comes to the DVD! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC